dt140 charging help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dt140 charging help

After figuring out I had two bad batteries, I put in one fresh one. I did not realize that I had a voltage leak when the ignition was off and it was draining the battery to 12 vdc before I started it up.
    When the boat is running I am getting a little over 12 vdc at idle. At 1500 rpms I am getting just 12.5 vdc. Regulator is acting fine, its showing the same vdc as the battery and at idle. The acv is less than .7 volts, at 1500 rpms the acv is zero, making me think that the regulator is fine.
    I pulled the flywheel and the stator looks clean, mags are good and nothing is melted or funky. The Ohms are .3 in both directions.
    Does this seem like low volt numbers? I am used to Yamaha charging systems putting out 13.5+. Good news is that it runs and starts fine trolling around for two hours.

Did u put a brand new battery when you got this result ?
    If you did, discharge the battery little bit, and see if your charging systerm
    Is actully charging your battery. ( 14- 14.5 volt )
    12.5 volt seems too low , but it depends on your battery condition.

Comment

I am not getting anywhere near 13 or 14. After a full battery charge, I get 12vdc and when I rev to 2000 I get 12.5. It seems the ECU is drawing some acv voltage from the stator and the ECU is getting hot.
      Last edited by findre; 08-09-2011, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Anything over 12v is charging, however if you turn everything with power on in your boat and watch the volt guage and drops below 12 then you are indeed having a charging issue.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Where you able to figure out what the issue is? I am having the same issue.

I had a rectifier / regulator over-voltage, so I replaced the rectifier / regulator, and the voltage went to 14.2, right in the range it should be, however, since it was previously charging at a much higher rate, and as part of routine maintenance, I replaced the battery just to be sure there was no damage done to the battery from over charging.

However, now with the new battery, at idle I show around 12.5 volts, and at higher RPM's it is around 12.5 to 12.9 volts.

Originally posted by findre View Post
          I am not getting anywhere near 13 or 14. After a full battery charge, I get 12vdc and when I rev to 2000 I get 12.5. It seems the ECU is drawing some acv voltage from the stator and the ECU is getting hot.

Comment

Working...
          X