No announcement yet.

Very slight ticking sound at low idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very slight ticking sound at low idle?

Just recently my 95 DT200 FI outboard has been acting a bit under the weather.

It couphs at low idle and it has a slight ticking sound. Any ideas on what could cause this? Or what I can do to fix it?

Have you done a compression test that might tell something

Comment

I had the same problem with a DT200 a 98 model. I changed the leads new plugs and had a good clean of all the engine contacts as their was the start of some rust. Runs like a dream, just supper thirsty.

Comment

Originally posted by redbull760 View Post
        I had the same problem with a DT200 a 98 model. I changed the leads new plugs and had a good clean of all the engine contacts as their was the start of some rust. Runs like a dream, just supper thirsty.
        What are the leads? And specifically which engine contacts did you clean?

Thanks

Comment

Still wondering how to fix this.

Comment

spark plug leads....................... is it spark jumping

Comment

I discoverd that my internal fuel filter had a crack. Sucking air. Getting new one tom. The ticking sound happes weven when I first start it, as in BEFORE the motor starts. It Must be something mechanical.

Comment

Almost a month later and i am dealing with the same issue. Here is what I have done:

I pulled the flywheel and checked, everything looked ok. Ran a compression test and they were all even at about 105. Put the flywheel back on and ran it for a while. Still making the sound. So i pulled the boat and took it to a repair shop. They are booked solid and the guy said he doesn't like to work on Suzuki outboards. He told me that it was not a tick i was hearing but an air leak. It is comming from the top oil seal on the crankshaft. So i bought this part. And now I CAN NOT GET THIS FREAKING FLYWHEEL OFF FOR ANYTHING!

I've broken two pullers. Now I have a bolt stuck broke off in the flywheel. So I guess I need to drill it out then back it out. Guess it may be time to invest in a for real suzuki flywheel puller.

Looking for ideas.

Is this seal one I can change in place or do I need to reomve the entire power head. The guy at the shop told me that if I was lucky I may be able to drill a small hole in it and pull it out without removing the powerhead. Does any of this sound familiar?

Comment

undo the nut put some wd 40 and let it soak get a harmonic balance puller get some high grade bolts put some pressure on and leave over night .

I have drill holes in seals and but vvery carefully screw in a self tapper screw it and pull evenly .

But what is leaking seal might be the complaint but the cause may be something else.

What is your main bearing like any movement

Comment

Originally posted by red5 View Post
                    Almost a month later and i am dealing with the same issue. Here is what I have done:

I pulled the flywheel and checked, everything looked ok. Ran a compression test and they were all even at about 105. Put the flywheel back on and ran it for a while. Still making the sound. So i pulled the boat and took it to a repair shop. They are booked solid and the guy said he doesn't like to work on Suzuki outboards. He told me that it was not a tick i was hearing but an air leak. It is comming from the top oil seal on the crankshaft. So i bought this part. And now I CAN NOT GET THIS FREAKING FLYWHEEL OFF FOR ANYTHING!

I've broken two pullers. Now I have a bolt stuck broke off in the flywheel. So I guess I need to drill it out then back it out. Guess it may be time to invest in a for real suzuki flywheel puller.

Looking for ideas.

Is this seal one I can change in place or do I need to reomve the entire power head. The guy at the shop told me that if I was lucky I may be able to drill a small hole in it and pull it out without removing the powerhead. Does any of this sound familiar?

you can just heat up the flyweel around the the bolt with a butanburner. that is what I do and it works every time.

Comment

FIXED!

Weird situation. Turned out that one of the bolts that holds one of the twoor three fuels had come out. These are the same type of pumps you find on mowers and such. They operate by vibration. Inserted one bolt and replaced the seal and poof. Good as ****.

Thanks to those of you that tries to help. All appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X