new to this site. need help in deciding in repower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to this site. need help in deciding in repower

Just wanted to introduce myself. Im new to this site and have a question on a possible repower. I currently have a 1990 23 mako walkaround and had some issues due to ethanol. I went through the entire fuel system, tank filters hoses etc and still can not get it to run right. I had my mechanic go through it and he tells me #6 cylinder is only putting out about 70lbs. well im real disgusted because its a 03 dt225 with only 300 hours! i have already put a new lower unit on it due to corrosion around the prop. my wife does not want me to spend another dime on that motor, she wants to repower! so i spoke to my mechanic and he is telling me that all i need on this boat is a 175 four stroke. I am kind of optimistic, i dont want to buy it and be underpowered. its a heavy boat that holds 120 gal fuel, i never wieghed it but i think im pushing 5000lbs fully fueled and loaded... anyone else repower from a bigger 2 stoke to a smaller 4 stroke, thanks in advance for the feedback.

No less than a DF250. I have a 24' Grady with a 2005 DF250 and the only reason I don't have a 300 is because it wasn't available when I needed a new motor. With almost 800 hours, the 250 has been great. With the heavy boat, I think the 300 would get better crusing MPG.

Comment

4 strokes dont have the same hole shot like 2 strokes do so to get the same "feel" of having adequite power to get on a plane, i agree you need at least a 250 on it

on paper the top end speeds of 2 strokes and 4 strokes might be the same but getting on a plane is where the hole shot of 2 strokes "feel" so different

dealers tell you the motor you need based on the "paper" power specs for the boat and those are often unloaded underestimated weights. dealers tell you you need what they want to sell you and not real world needs based on the facts

Comment

not a suzuki 175

If you do buy a 175 don't let it be the Suzuki. They had tremendous problems with that 4 stroke. Something with oiling the cam shaft or some part around it. Bad model for Suzuki.

Comment

Where did you take your boat?

One more thing, did you use a Suzuki mechanic? It seems odd to have 300 hours and a dealer can't get it running right. A Suzuki dealer may want $100 an hour but your options may be ten grand!

Comment

Working...
          X