04 DF140 Pre-Season Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 DF140 Pre-Season Maintenance

Hey all, new here. I have an 04 DF140 and here are my plans before launching for the season. This is my first pre-season owning her and previous owner had all maintenance done at the dealership. I love doing my own work and I have much experience working on boats and cars alike. Any criticisms or tips are desired!
    • Check my oil again (changed filter and oil before storage)
    • Change my gearcase oil (I put it off till now shamefully)
    • Replace spark plugs with NGK BKR6E to .030 gap
    • Replace water pump impeller (does anyone have experience with the sierra kits? I can get a substantial discount on those but if they're junk I'll order the $52 one from brownspoint)
    • Replace my clutch shaft bushing (I hear this is a very common cause of difficult shifts and mine requires excessive force to shift. There arent many pictures or writeups of this so any tips are appreciated)
    • Grease the zerks (any good recommended grease that wont break the bank?)
    • Inspect all my hoses and bolts and fittings
    • Check my anodes
    • Fire 'er up

parts here Suzuki Outboard Parts

use gen water pump

Comment

Also check fuel condition and filters.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
        Also check fuel condition and filters.
        Thank you for the reply. I will definitely go about checking those. I did the oil filter instinctively with the oil change at the end of the season but is there a recommended interval for changing the fuel filter(s)? I also forgot to add in that I'll be changing the fuel water separator as well. Any reccomended additives for the fuel after sitting through the winter? She was stored in a climate controlled environment with about 1/4 of a tank of gas so I'm hoping condensation will not be a big worry.

Comment

If you are running saltwater, don't forget the internal annodes that are on the rectifier. I would also replace the water separator/filter and maybe the filter under the hood to be safe. Funny you mention Brownspoint on a board that sells Suzuki parts as well. I have found this sight to have better overall prices than Brownspoint. Condensation is small potatoes these days compared to the distruction ethanol fuel does to your fuel system when it sits for months untreated. If the fuel that sat all winter was untreated, I would dispose of it properly. Marine Stabil works well and should be used regularly.
          -Shawn
          Last edited by WEDOCQ; 05-25-2012, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Water pump replacement

Do a You Tube search and Bubba in Arkansas does a great job. I did my 115 DF in about 2 hours. Also repl. the thermostat, that is what was wrong with mine. Good luck. Steve
            [I]72 Robalo with 2003 140 DF
            77 Aquasport with 2004 115 DF
            98 272 Grady White with OX66 225s

Comment

Working...
            X