DT50 running on one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT50 running on one!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will try to break this down in order to let you know everything I have tested.

-Compression 105 top
    105 bottom

-Timing On as far as I tell running on one cyl.

-Carbs cleaned and checked. Fuel is getting to the bottom cyl.

-Spark This is where it gets a little ify. Top cyl has loads of spark as one would expect being the cyl thats running. The bottom also has good spark however, this is what is strange. When I was checking the timing. with the amp probe for the light on cyl #1 coil lead, the RPM reading was at 4200. With the engine still running I put the amp probe on the coil #2 lead, It was at half the RPM 2100. Now is it feasible that this system is a wasted spark type and the bottom cyl is getting the wasted spark only? Would this be controlled by the CDI?

Thanks for any help as I am at a near loss.

Dale

Don't know what year model model you have but I think all the DT50 have 2 coils not a dual lead coil, if has 2 coils then swap coils to see if problem goes with coil. If you have a peak reading volt meter check stator voltage and CDI output voltage to coils.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

dual coils

This DT50 has dual coils. I did swap them with no change. still firing on the top cyl. only. As far as a peak reading dvom I am not sure if mine will capture it. I will have to check. (snapon). I did however find that the ignition timing sensors were worn as if the fly wheel had been rubbing on them. One was worse than the other. Ohm'd them out and they were both ok. swapped them and........... still running on top cyl only. Wifey is sharpening the butchers knife as I bought this tug without telling her. now I cant even get out on the water to escape the daggers.

Comment

1984 dt50

Sorry 1984 DT50 with p/tilt, oil inj., elec. start.,

Comment

It's starting to sound like the CDI but peak reading volt readings would be helpfull.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X