DF60 (1997) top swivel lubrication ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF60 (1997) top swivel lubrication ?

Got grease everywhere, but cannot get some to come out of the top swivel bracket just below the power head. Have used the 3 forward facing nipples on the tilt bracket (2 on port side one on starboard). And the port facing nipple facing out half way down the side of the swivel housing- resulting in grease coming out of the bottom of the swivel.....but not out of the top steering swivel. Is there a seperate nipple for the top swivel ? Or is the lower one intended to supply top and bottom swivels ?

having read a few other leads.....this could be the `dried grease` problem - grease going down from one central swivel greasing point - but not up. Will try supporting the skeg tonight to `lift` the engine slightly in the swivel/ reduce grease loss on the lower swivel in the hope to force grease `up` through the dried/ slightly lifted swivel.......if that fails....may drill/ tap a new greasing point straight into the upper swivel if there is clearance.... (or wash out the swivel housings with degreaser via the greasing nipple ??) am I on the right track ??

now more a report on progress than a request for help ! Heath robinson method is producing progress.......wrapped a lot of electrical insulating tape around the bottom swivel bearing act as a gasket, and added a hose clip round the lot in an effort to stop grease escaping from the bottom swivel and to force more pressure up to the top dryish swivel. Progress ! some thick grease (wrong stuff) now starting to come from the top swivel. Not enough yet.....but hand has gone dead clamping the greasegun against the nipple with the extra pressure.!!!so....sprayed degreaser around the top swivel to soften whats there- and another onslaught scheduled tomorrowwith a refilled greasegun !
    Last edited by neilmathews; 06-13-2012, 03:22 PM.

Comment

stiff swivel

I'm having same stiff swivel problems. Wondering what success you have had since your last posting. Getting ready to take mine to be acetylene torched and possibly new tap hole(s) to flush out old grease.

Comment

Working...
      X