power trim and tilt issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power trim and tilt issue

new to the boating world and learning as I go, so bare with me. since purchasing the boat used - 2005 sea fox 195bf with 2005 df115, I've never been able to fully operate the trim and tilt from the console control. once i trim the motor all the way up I have to use the switch on the motor itself to get it to go back down. i can then use the switch on the cotrol to tilt. what can i do to fix?

Sounds like you may need to change the ptt switch at the console. You should test the console switch and make sure it is supplying power at the motor when pressed in the up/down possition.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

The switch at the console works fine except from a certain point - tilted all the way up. I've been doing some more reading and I'm pretty sure its the limit switch thats screwy.

Comment

I suppose it could be the tilt limit switch, but it seems to me that if that were the culprit, that it would also affect the switch on the engine, too. Sounds more like the binnacle switch or a problem with a broken wire from the binnacle to the motor. The wire might be broken or weakened where it flexes with the tilt all the way up. Try adjusting the tilt limit switch so that the motor does not tilt all the way up, e.g. stops at about a 45° angle. Also make sure the wire isn't being pinched when the motor is tilted.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

thanks Mike! I'm going to try adjusting the limit switch tonight and see if that works. I think the binnacle (and thank you for identifying the proper name for the switch for me) is fine - it works up and down except when it the motor goes past a certian point and then then and only then the binnalce no longer works. I think if I set the limit switch to the point that the binnacle will still operate I should be in good shape. Thanks again!

Comment

It was the limit switch!!! It only needed a little "tweaking". On to the next issue on the list. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
            X