df70 locked up ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• df70 locked up ?

Ok I lied, its not a df70 but the evinrude model which is the same thing ( as far as I have heard) it is a 2000 short shaft.

Anyways I bought the motor with what the owner claimed zero compression in the top cylinder. I havent had a chance to pull it apart yet because the boat im putting it on is having the transom re-welded to hold it, and i dont have a stand for it. Anyways the motor was running and just stalled, and would not restart. he was testing compression when he got it home and he said it locked up. he turned the motor backwards and unfroze it and left it alone. no water in oil. but looking down the top cylinder plug hole you can see obvious metal to metal contact. im thinking maybe a broken valve ? or broke piston ring ?

anyways im just basically looking for some advice, I paid 600 for the motor and im wondering if i am better off parting it out, selling it, or rebuilding it.

is there any common problems with these motors ? and anywhere I can get decent used parts at a good price ? thanks

Depending on the extent of the damage, rebuilding is an option. If you are good with a computer you could probably part out for tripple+, what you paid.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

is it worth rebuilding ? Id really like to run this motor on my boat. and do you have any idea where I can find prices on rebuilt powerheads ?

Comment

It really depends on the amount of damage. I am unfamiliar with any companies that offer rebuilt powerheads for Suzuki.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X