New DF150 lost power, died, and won't turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DF150 lost power, died, and won't turn over

I just bought a new (unsold) 2009 boat with a new (unsold) 2008 Suzuki DF150. The boat has been on the water a total of 4 times: dealer prep/water test, customer water test (salesman and myself), and I took it out twice for an hour or so each time. On my last trip, I noticed a high pitched noise coming from the motor and later it sounded like it was intermitently losing power. My friend who has been boating for many years said he didn't hear or notice anything. A few minutes later, the motor started losing power/speed. It steadily dropped until we were barely above an idle regardless of throttle position. It was dark and we were trying to get in so we kept going at this slow speed. After a few more minutes at little more than idle speed, the rev limiter light came on and the engine stumbled and died. It restarted about 3 times (hard to turn over) and never started again. We got towed in. I took it to the marina where I bought it and it barely turned over (even with a jump box and the spark plugs removed). The computer said the engine has 3+ hours on it. Stored codes: high temp cylinder (although all displayed water temp readings were between 140C and 155C which the guy said was fine), rev limiter X2, and oil pressure X2. The oil light only came on when the engine stalled. The guy was baffled and said a master mechanic will look at it next week.
    #1 I wonder what happened
    #2 the guy said it seemed serious and I would likely need the power head replaced. I paid good money for a new boat/motor (even though it isnt the current model year) and think I should get a new motor.
    #3 the guy said Suzuki has been known to pay someone's payment while the boat is out of commission. Is this true?
    Last edited by EricB280; 07-13-2010, 05:40 PM.

Hang out for a new donk 09 or not only three hours

Comment

Do not buy a suzuki outboard.

Update:
      I just spoke with the sevice department at my dealership. The manager said that my main crankshaft bearings are "gaulded" which is a lubrication issue and that they will need to put a new short block on it. When I said I paid for a new motor and want a new motor, he said he has never known Suzuki to replace an entire motor. He told me to take it up with Suzuki and he provided their number. The customer service rep patiently listened to me complain, but said the warranty covers "repairs only, not replacement". Now I will be stuck paying over $30,000 on a new boat with a rebuilt motor. Repairs will take up to 3 weeks, there is no compensation for this, and no loaner program. I asked if they would at least extend the warranty, and was told "that can be discussed after the motor is repaired" which is probably like saying "instead of saying NO now, I will tell you NO later when you're not as angry".
      Last edited by EricB280; 07-22-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problems, personally I think Suzuki makes a good motor..............Did they determine what caused the failure?

Comment

Here is a pic of the damage. The bearing on the right is toast...
          DF150.jpg
          No, they didn't tell me what they think caused it. He said "once this bearing failed, you should have lost oil pressure and lubrication".
          Last edited by EricB280; 07-13-2010, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Was there oil in the crankcase at all times?

Comment

Yes, had oil in it at all times (since I took delivery anyway). I checked the oil after the engine failure and it was slightly over the full mark and was also very clean.

The owner of the dealership just returned my call. He contacted Suzuki with a solution. He has offered to buy me a brand new motor provided:
              #1 Suzuki gives him "a good deal" on the new motor to settle this matter in the interest of customer satisfaction
              #2 Suzuki agrees to transfer my registration to the new motor and clear the registration data from the old motor so its next owner will have full factory warranty remaining

He stressed that this is far from a done deal, but feels Suzuki should do it. If he gets this done, he will have a customer for life. Right now, I don't know if I should still be pissed off or relieved.

Comment

i have a theory on why this has happened but i will wait till later sounds like good news .

you bought a new motor with good money not a rebuilt motor? SO SUZUKI should give you such three hours is still a new motor and i don,t give a flying damn if it is 2009 . The dealer should be awarded dealer of the year for his customer service as a legend .

Comment

Still waiting on the dealer to give me some news... he told me that there are no new 150's in inventory right now... I find that hard to believe. Even if one were clear across the country, it could be here in 2-3 days... but I don't want say that I don't believe him while he is still trying to help me.

Suzuki called me last night and said that they authorized repair of my original motor and that they know nothing about a deal for a new one. Gee, a whole week just to authorize repair and now the parts can be ordered. That seems much longer than necessary. They are authorizing a new short block and a new cylinder head. I again asked about the possiblity of at least them throwing me a free extended warranty if they refuse to give me a new motor and she said she could not discuss any kind of compensation until repairs are complete. This implies that there will be some kind of compensation. If American Suzuki is stringing me along and ends up giving me nothing, I will really be pissed.

I still want the brand new motor that I paid for!!! I just don't know if the dealer will come through. Suzuki definitely isn't. If I don't get the new motor, I will raise all kinds of hell for Suzuki and the dealership.

Buyer beware: Suzuki warranty covers repair only, not replacement. I wonder if it makes a difference that I didn't know this at the time of the sale?
                  Last edited by EricB280; 07-16-2010, 04:26 PM.

Comment

New engine on the way.

Yesterday I called the Suzuki manager of North American Sales and left a message. Today I get a call from my dealership saying a new engine will be here tomorrow. After that, I got a call from Suzuki telling me not to call that guy again. LOL

Anyone else need his number?

PS: Meagan at American Suzuki has renegged on compensation... won't even discuss it with me.. said to take it up with my dealership. What a way to treat a customer. I already lost 3 weeks on the water and have had to make a payment on a boat that doesn't run. All I asked for was a discount on an extended warranty. She sounded like that pissed her off.

Comment

good news at least they are giving you a new donk I would be happy as a dog with two tails
                      Last edited by mitch; 07-22-2010, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Blown Powerhead - lubrication issues

I just had a bolt that holds my oil pump on my DF225 2006 come loose and blew my whole powerhead as well. No warnings from low oil pressure, no alarms, nothing

The symptoms were the same and I cant beleive this can even happen. Mine just went out or warranty earlier this year as I bought the boat used.

I have no idea where to even start as I am sure others have had this problem, and, warranty expiration or not, they should cover the repair.

I have been running offshore for 15 years and have never seen anything like it

Comment

I had the same problem and my insurance company cut me a check for $11,000 for my 1999 DT225 with 700 hours on it.

Comment

Working...
                          X