2007 DF 300 Gauge Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 DF 300 Gauge Help

Hey fellas. I've owned a 2007 DF 300 since new. Its got almost 1,000 hrs on it and has been trouble free until recently. My main battery switch in the boat broke, so I unhooked both batteries for about a week until the new battery switch came in. When I hooked everything back up, my engine gauges would still turn on, but they flash dashes instead of information that they used to show. The tach background still turns on, but the needle doesn't move. I've got what appears to be the Lowrance LMF-400 gauges (or older versions of them). My software is version 1.0. I have the blue tees and they are screwed down. I've unhooked the main feed into each tee individually thinking I might be able to weed out a bad sensor, but that didn't do anything.

My next step is to unhook and ohm out each tee. If all my tees are good, I'm kind of lost on where to go from there. Its worked great for 8 years, so I don't think I need a software update, just need some help trying to figure out what connection or sensor went bad. I've unplugged most of the electrical connections under the dash and they've all looked good. I have not pulled the cowling and started on the motor end yet.

A little bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi D

It is possible that the Suzuki interface cable may have lost it's configuration due to power being disconnected.

You could try going into the gauge menu (with engine key on) to re-do the configuration - I.e set the engine year, HP, fuel tanks etc. give that a try and let us know how you go.

Another thing - in your cluster of T pieces, one of which will lead to the power connection for the network. Should be a fuse in that line somewhere. Check fuse to make sure good contacts and that it somehow didn't get blown in the process of changing switches.

Final thought as I write: if you go to the Lowrance website search for a "reset" procedure for the gauges. Might be worth a try.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter! I'll check all those out in the next day or 2 and will let you know what I find.

D

Comment

Tried a couple of your suggestions at lunch.

I 'reset' the values as described in the Lowrance manual (Press 'Menu', select 'System Setup', select 'Reset Values' and press 'Enter'). That didn't do anything.

I also went to redo the engine/tank configuration and the only thing it would let me change was the size of the tank. I cleared it and reset the tank value on both gauges. My correct tank size now continuously blinks on one of the gauges, but I still have blinking dashes for everything else.

I'll hunt for that fuse tonight and will let you know what I find.

Thanks again for the help,

Dave

Comment

Try the "reset" on the gauges - this from the Lowrance website:

LMF 400 Reset
          1. Turn Unit off
          2. Press and hold the DOWN button
          3. Turn unit on (activate power to NMEA network or connect unit to operating network)
          4. Release DOWN Button after Test screen appears.
          5. Turn unit off (disconnect power to NMEA 2000 network or remove unit from network)

Comment

I reset both gauges as described above and now both are showing the tach mode and the rpm readouts are still blinking double dashes. The only thing I was able to reconfigure on the reset was the number of engines/tanks and the tank size. It never asked for engine size or year.

I was hoping to avoid searching thru my bird's nest of wires under the dash for that fuse, but that's my next step......along with disconnecting each tee/sensor and plugging them up one at a time.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again.

Dave

Comment

Well, its been a year and I finally ohmed out the tees and found the fuse and everything is okay. I ohmed out the tees while they were all hooked together and checked them separate.

I have 5 tees. When I unplug one of them, both gauges go dark. Hook them back up and unplug another tee and its lead and one gauge will go dark. Hook them back up again and unplug another tee and the other gauge will go dark. Nothing happens when the other 2 tees and their feeds are disconnected.

I tried wiggling any and all wires and the gauges still won't read. I'm open for any other suggestions. And I'm wondering...if my gauges won't register, will my engine alarms still work? Overheat, low oil, etc?

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

Comment

Try unconfiguring, and then reconfiguring the Suzuki:

Turn key on.

Go into one of the gauge menus. Find the network device list, and you should see the Suzuki listed there. I can't recall the exact key sequence but you should find an option to unconfigure that device. Do that.

Then exit out, then go back in again to the same menu, select the Suzuki and select configure. Follow the prompts to configure.

By the way, you only do this setup including setting tank location and size on ONE display. This updates the whole network. Trying to do it again on the second display will cause problems!!!!!!

Let us know how that goes.

But I am beginning to wonder whether the interface cable may have gone bad.....

Just before we go down that path, try the process above.

Then one last thing: do a check on the interface cable connections, make sure that they are all plugged in nice and snug. Unplug each one, inspect the pins for corrosion/loose wires, Check where the wires exit the back of the white plugs for broken or loose wires, or any evidence of corrosion.

Especially check the plug on the engine where the interface cable connects to the SDS port.

Comment

Hard to believe its been 3 years since I first posted, but I wanted to follow up in case some else is having the same problem. I finally threw in the towel and took it to a mechanic. He's messed with on on and off for a couple years and believes that the wiring harness to the gauges is bad. The problem now is that I have the first model of this engine and my particular harness was only used for the first 6 months of this engine and he can't find a replacement. Every harness my mechanic gets is a newer updated version and won't fit.

I'm hopeful that he'll find a new harness sometime this summer.

Comment

Working...
                  X