DF 140 hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 140 hesitation

Hello everyone. I just bought a new skiff with a DF 140 on it. The first time I accelerated I notice a little hestiation for a split second and then it took off and ran fine. No matter where my RPMs are when I shot the gas to it you can feel and hear a little hestiation. I called the dealer this morning and his response was that was a trait of all of those motors. So has anyone else had this issue?

It is a bit difficult to know without hearing it.

If this is your first 4 stroke, they do accelerate differently to a 2 stroke, more of a progressive acceleration, strong and steady.

If it is a brand new motor, you will want to run it in as per the instructions in the owner's manual, so hard or sudden acceleration is not something you would want to be doing quite yet. Check the manual for running in instructions and be sure to stick to what it says there.

I can't say that I have ever noticed a hesitation as such on my DF115 or my mates DF300.

Can you describe it further? Are you punching the throttle or pushing it steadily forward? The more info you can give the better.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-08-2015, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rgmiller View Post
      Hello everyone. I just bought a new skiff with a DF 140 on it. The first time I accelerated I notice a little hestiation for a split second and then it took off and ran fine. No matter where my RPMs are when I shot the gas to it you can feel and hear a little hestiation. I called the dealer this morning and his response was that was a trait of all of those motors. So has anyone else had this issue?
      Need more information, new motor or second hand. No motor will hesitate when you open the throttle unless there is a problem. the problem sounds like a crook plug or lead.

Comment

Check ECM!

If it is a DF140A it is the ECM. Known fault in handling idle valve/damper.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Yes it is a DF 140A. And I bought it new. I did the break in like my dealer said and still has the little hesitation. I will get a video of it this weekend (if the rain will hold off) and post it. Thanks once again.

Comment

My 140a has a touch of this too. It's quite minor, but it's there.

Comment

If you think its a real problem, the only way to tell is to get a video of it when it actually happens. Then post it here and send a copy to your dealer.

Once we see it, someone can perhaps comment further on whether it is an actual problem, or something else.

I will say that this isnt a problem that i have seen reported on the new DF140A series engines, other than on this thread. Havent seen anything similar over on THT or our Australian websites like Ausfish either.

I know quite a few people who have them and no-one has mentioned anything like that.

But still, get that video on your phone or GoPro and put it up so we can have a look.

Comment

Mine has done this from day one and I asked the dealer about it at first service. They said it was fine.

The sensation feels very similar to having an engine deal with a very small amount of water in the fuel (which of course is not the case here). It's just a very minor hiccup when accelerating from idle. I would expect someone who is not overly sensitive to how their engines run, may not notice it.

It's winter here, but I will try to remember to record it when we get out on the water in spring.

Comment

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there was an update on this hesitation.

My DF140A also seems to have this little 'hiccup' just during the initial acceleration.

I have checked / reset gap on plugs, changed the main water/fuel separator... However, not the one on the motor itself.

There was mention of it being the ECM and a 'known issue' ... however, I haven't seen anywhere online where this is known...

updates?

Comment

Working...
                  X