NMEA switching from Lowrance to Garmin FYI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMEA switching from Lowrance to Garmin FYI

I initially installed a NMEA network to read engine data from my DF175 to my Lowrance HDS. Everything worked great. Last year after having a few problems with my Lowrance (not NMEA problems) I purchased a Garmin 7608 GPS/Sonar combo. I had no idea if the existing cable that I used for my Lowrance would work on the new Garmin. Plugged and played with no problems. The setup menu for the NMEA network will still display Lowrance (you'll just see this in the setup menu and nowhere on the displays) but makes no difference in the operation. This is a "been there, done that" and it worked for me. Info might be helpful to someone thinking about changing brands.
    Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks for that.

Yes, that is how NMEA2000 is intended to work - any device from any manufacturer that is NMEA2000 certified and has engine data pages will work with your Suzuki engine to show engine data.

The main thing you have lost with the change to Garmin is the ability to calibrate fuel flow or configure the network - can only be done on Lowrance/Simrad screens.

Comment

Hi Moon,

I guess I've never had the need to calibrate fuel flow. The readings I'm getting seem to be very accurate. All I do is hit the fill button when I fuel up and it registers my 70 gallons. When refueling, the tank takes whatever the usage was. I wish my trolling motor (Suzuki DF15) was NMEA capable since that fuel usage doesn't get calculated. The system is fun to play with and it's especially helpful finding that sweet spot where you're getting the best mileage.

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X