Starter or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter or something else?

03 df70 (fuel injected, 4 stroke) with 270 hours. Have an issue I think is the starter but not to sure.... about 50% of the time the motor starts perfect, the other 50% I turn the key and the starter turns roughly half a revolution and then stops (almost sounds bound up), I can try it several times and it will usually turn over and start after a few tries. The motor always runs perfect when it starts. Tried tapping the starter when it does this and it doesn't help. Pulled the starter today and disassembled, looks nearly new and is clean inside, cleaned the guts anyways. Wondering if this seems like a starter issue or if it sounds like something more serious? Thanks for the help!

Have a very close look at the main battery cables. Its possible that one of the cables has bad internal corrosion. Had a similar thing many years ago on a mates boat. Tiny nick in the cable had allowed water to get in and corroded it out internally. If you cant test the cables, then flex them around, if they feel hard or crunchy then you have found a problem.

Also check battery connections and your main battery switch internals.

Comment

What's a good way to test the cables?

Comment

Messed a little more this morning, it almost seems like the starter can't overcome the compression of the motor.....

Comment

That can still be anything in the starting system, weak cable or connection, bad solenoid etc etc.. It is probably the starter but that is also the most expensive place to 'start' replacing parts.. Best place to look is to put a volt meter on various parts as you try but you need some knowledge to do so. You can easily misread a test and assume a part is good or bad. Most common place to lose voltage prior to starter is the solenoid and if you meter across the input and output you should read almost no voltage while trying to start (but 12v when not trying) If you read say 5V while trying to start, that's how much you're loosing through it giving your starter 8 instead of 13.. It should be 0.5v or less. You can do the same for runs of the + cable (but there will be some drop on long runs) and then do the same between the starter/motor housing and the - post on the battery. This is another common place to lose power is your ground..

Comment

Pull the plugs! just to confirm Its not an hydraulic lock. Make sure there all dry uniform in appearance

Comment

I was actually thinking about doing this last night. Hopefully I get time soon. I did replace the plugs when this first started, they all looked pretty good then. I'll try to check them tonight.

Comment

Pulled the plugs and it turned over fine. All plugs were uniform in color and almost no oily residue or anything on them. Put them back in and it won't turn over. It actually hasn't started in 3 days now. If it has a weak starter or bad wiring, couldn't it turn over well with no resistance (plugs out) and act up with resistance? Havent checked the wiring yet. Probably just going to replace it this weekend anyways. Its cheap enough. Is 6 gauge (or maybe 8?) sufficient for battery to starter and solenoid?

Comment

Simple check which give you peace of mind knowing that your cylinders are fine, now pull the battery out and have it load tested as it might have a bad cell

Comment

check the voltage at the startmotor when cranking. it should be at least 8 volts. if less you have an electrical problem and that can be anything from a bad battery , main switch, connection , relais ( there are two of them) or a bad startmotor ( brushes worn). if the engine has an hydro lock it should smoke when you start it up

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Replaced the wires, and checked a few other things before I replaced the starter. When everything checked out, I ordered a starter and it has never started better!

Comment

Glad to hear that you solved your problem and for letting us know what was wrong. SMOOTH SALING!!!

Jim

Comment

I had a feeling it was the starter but they aren't cheap, was best to rule out all the small stuff first.

Comment

Nice. Most of the time you can repair the starter or a specialized workshop. Then you have a rspare or sell it after the repair.
                            Regards, Martin
                            DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
                            X