Prop straightening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop straightening

On a resent trip to a stump ridden local lake I did a pretty good job of rolling up the edge of DF30 factory aluminum prop, my question is what's the best method to straighten it out? It's not chipped or any thing, just a 1/2" or so of the edge rolled in. I have a new spare and don't want to spend the time or money to send it off to a pro, but I don't want to through it away either. Suggestions?

Wouldn't advise trying to do it yourself. You'd just be asking for trouble.Doesn't take a whole lot of wobble at 2-3000 RPM to start wearing the bottom end.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Smooth it out, slow careful steps. Make it look as even as possible. Then, since you didn't have it properly done, store it onboard as a spare and don't ever use it for main prop. A brand new prop is $100-$200, a gearset, shaft and bearings more in $1000-$2000 and a 'slight' load imbalance will eventually eat those parts. Certainly don't throw it out, but if you won't spend the money to correct it (and I wouldn't, for the $ difference I'd buy another new one) then keep it for an emergency spare when you hit something harder and rip a blade right and and can't get home.

Comment

I'm a Suzuki rookie & don't know much. I don't however like to save a few dollars only to risk spending hundreds or thousands. A couple hundred bucks on a new or professionally-reworked prop seems like cheap insurance. I'm reminded of people who tow heavy travel trailers but don't want to spend a few hundred bucks on a decent weight-distributing hitch. Sometimes they're sorry. YMMV.
        Last edited by TxAg66; 02-15-2018, 01:18 AM. Reason: Edit: correct spelling
        ---
        John

Comment

find a shop that sell props
          there are professionals out there that do this for a living the prop shop will know who to send you to
          you will be asking for trouble attempting to do it yourself.
          Art

Comment

I have used Prop MD for my stainless steel prop. I had dinged it up pretty bad. He did an outstanding job. Came back to me looking brand new. The price for your aluminum prop is $70 including 2-way shipping (assuming you're in the 48 conterminous states). Have a look https://www.propmd.com/propeller-repair-service
            Last edited by Harper; 02-16-2018, 09:12 AM.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the link! I purchased a replacement Solas for my DF20A and it leaves me short 400 rpm. Will send in my OEM prop.

Comment

Every different make/model of prop is different. Even though the diameter and pitch may be the same, blade shape and area will be different, thus giving different results. And some mesurements given are pretty average attempts at measuring!

Assuming its is the actual same diameter, I would send that Solas prop back and exchange it for same model but a couple inches less pitch. Should put you in the right zone.

Comment

Stock was a 10. I have a Solas 8 and it hits the rev limiter with throttle left.

Comment

Ok, your post where you said it left you 400 short sounded like it was over-propped. I misunderstood.

Since it now sounds under propped, go 2 inches more pitch on the same make/model prop. Every inch change is worth roughly 150-200 rpm.

Curious as to why you replaced a 10” pitch with 8” in the first place?

Comment

I only used the 8 prop for high elevations on Colo. Last few years all we use the boat is in AZ at almost sea level and the stock OEM worked perfect..

Comment

Working...
                      X