Power tilt for 2016 suzuki 200 outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tilt for 2016 suzuki 200 outboard

I have, and really stoked with, a 2016 Suzuki 200 hp outboard motor that will power tilt down but not up. Power tilt worked great up until Saturday afternoon when I attempted to flush the motor. Powered down but not up. Any advice you might provide would sure be appreciated. I have less than 200 hours on it.

Dave Bruce
    Wrightwood Ca.

Is it the button that doesn't work or do you hear the motor running but the engine isn't lifted?
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

thanks so much for getting back to me. I can lower the motor but when I try to tilt it back to the upright position I get nothing nor do I hear anything. The problem is just when tilting the motor up. Thanks again.

Comment

Do you use the button on the port side of the engine or on your throttle handle. If you use the button on the side, good chance that that's your culprit
        Regards, Martin
        DF200 2007

Comment

We use both. Obviously, on the water and most of the time it's the throttle handle. But, when off the water and flushing it out we use that button. I worked great Saturday then when we went to flush the motor out it wouldn't come back up. Goes down just fine.
          And, again, THANK YOU,.

Comment

Check your trim limit switch on the pivit, it is probably stuck in the open position, it is wired in series with the up switch.

Comment

Will do just that and THANK YOU SO MUCH. Will let you know.

Comment

Well, been in touch with the dealer I bought the motor from and, have to say, the info here is much better than what I'm getting from him. "Check the oil in the lower unit". "Follow the wiring from the hydaulic lift motors into the inside of the cowling and check the relays by jumping around them." And, when I jack it up even more who's gonna answer for that? Keep in mind it's a 100 mile drive each way to have him check it but, gotta do what I gotta do.

We released the hydraulics in order to raise the damn motor. Once we got it secured with the bracket in place my buddy hit the "up" switch on the motor and it worked. We tried it a couple times and, still worked. Decided I better try the switch on the throttle handle at the center console and NOTHING. Went back to the switch on the motor and we are back to square on. It would power down but not up.

Comment

Mate you must check the trim limit switch operation before you worry about any thing else, you said in your first post it won't trim up, if the limit switch is open it wont trim up. The switch is on the pivot, look in the middle of the pivot and you will see the switch leever and the plug with the light blue wires. Either use a test light or disconnect the plug and check for continuity with your multimeter on ohms, with the test light get someone to press the up button and you should have battery voltage on both sides of the switch, and when you move the leever backwards and forwards
                  you will see the light go on and off.

Your trim wiring is a little bit more complicated than the earlier engines because it is ecu controlled, information ( battery voltage) goes into the ecu and out then down to the main trim relay, we will worry about that after you confirm the limit switch is working properly. Rotate the limit switch a little more toward the down position, I think you have to have the key on when using the trim from the console.

Comment

Red - Thanks so much and I'm on my way down to the boat this morning and will do just what you say.
                    I guess my main worry is that I have that 6 year guarantee from Suzuki and don't want to screw it up.
                    Like I said, I'm on my down right now and will let you know.

Again, EVERYONE, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS. Really appreciated.

Dave

Comment

Hoping we were able to find the issue yesterday and it appears as though we may have been the cause. When tilting the motor all the way to the limit switch we found that you have to lower the motor about 3/4 down before that limit switch resets. The bracket from the trailer to the lower unit which supports the motor when not in use was to long and took the motor up to the limit switch so we shortened the bracket and it seemed to have no problem all day yesterday. Hope we learned something along the way.

Thanks again and let me know if you have any thoughts that we may be wrong. We are in, no way, Marine Mechanic's.

Comment

Working...
                      X