DF 25 carbs rebuilt = Success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 25 carbs rebuilt = Success!

First things first: Thanks to the many of you who have helped me with this. Solarman for carb rebuild suggestions, Artdf175 for general hand-holding, Pniksnut and Hoosmatroos for tool suggestions, and others I'm unfortunately probably forgetting.

Background: 2003 DF 25 4-stroke triple. It ran crappy after sitting for a few years, even after running several hours of Seafoamed ethanol free gas through it. The advice I got here was to man up & rebuild the carbs. A scary thought .. A little more complex than the Harley carbs I've done in years past.

I did it, though. Per Solarman's advice, I took pix & did only one carb at a time. For cleaning, I used an ultrasonic cleaner from HF with a Berryman carb-cleaning solution then blew everything out with compressed air. Didn't have to change any screw settings as my carbs all have sealed pilot screws. Manual says don't mess with them. (Also didn't change any idle screw settings on middle & top carbs, so synchronizing shouldn't be affected.) Then, new gaskets & O-rings + new fuel lines from filter & pump to carbs. New fuel filter, plugs & thermostat. New primer squeeze bulb. Probably should replace the fuel hose on each side of the bulb but haven't done that yet. I did NOT, at this point, rebuild the fuel pump. Impeller has also been replaced.

Results: Started on first try & ran like a scalded dog!! I had the idle set way too fast (trying to get it to run with dirty carbs) but now have it idling around 900. Smooth & quiet. Really purrs. Now I know what it's supposed to sound like! I noticed, though, that it occasionally coughs, maybe every 30-60 seconds or so. Note: my terminology might not be quite right; what I call a "cough" might be a "sneeze" to someone else. Anyway, thinking this might be a lean condition, I'm going to run it a bit longer in the barrel & then check the plugs for a lean condition.

So, any thoughts on this coughing thing? Aside from that, I think I'm really getting close! Can you tell I'm excited??

Thanks again, all!
    ---
    John

Hi, great result so far but you're there not yet. The cough is almost certain a lean condition, good analysis. I really think you need synchronizing the carbs. It is possible that one cylinder runs to lean. You know when you connecting the vacuum meters. Synchronizing is a piece of cake compared to cleaning the carbs.
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosmatroos View Post
      Hi, great result so far but you're there not yet. The cough is almost certain a lean condition, good analysis. I really think you need synchronizing the carbs. It is possible that one cylinder runs to lean. You know when you connecting the vacuum meters. Synchronizing is a piece of cake compared to cleaning the carbs.
      Thanks, Hoos. Not having vacuum meters, I'll save that for a trip to a dealer. In the meantime, I'll check for leaks by spraying around the carbs with WD-40 .. to see if RPM changes. If yes, I'll check plugs for abnormally lighter color. If a light/white one is found, I'll rebuild that carb more carefully. If plugs look ok (grayish/tan), I'll (a) get brave & figure out how to synch the carbs or (b) chicken out & go see a dealer/service shop. LOL
      ---
      John

Comment

I would say good job!! but really it is a great job
        thanks for posting back. it is always good to get the feedback

these are somewhat permanent records that others will be able to review for a long time to come
        thanks again and glad to be part of the process
        Art

Comment

Thanks, Art. Quite an educational experience, for sure!
          ---
          John

Comment

It's not that hard or scary to synchronize the carbs. It's fun when you do it yourself.

Watch this video to give you an idea what is is.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsHCMJnRY9A

Buying the meters is far cheaper than let the dealer do it for you. And gives you the same result. You can buy the meters in a lot of places. From 30 til 100 dollars or even more. An example:
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...-/322426432074
            Regards, Martin
            DF200 2007

Comment

Ahh, thanks, Hoos. Dangar Marine vids are always good. Browsing Amazon last night, I saw gauges in exactly the price range you mentioned. Looks pretty straightforward. Thank you.
              ---
              John

Comment

Good luck and let us know how it went.
                Regards, Martin
                DF200 2007

Comment

sneezing is a common problem with these engine's . they did it from new and if the carb's are synchronised and it still sneeze you should ajust the pilot screw (behind the aluminium plug). maybe the protection plug is already taken out.

Knipsel carb.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by pniksnut View Post
                    sneezing is a common problem with these engine's . they did it from new and if the carb's are synchronised and it still sneeze you should ajust the pilot screw (behind the aluminium plug). maybe the protection plug is already taken out.
                    Thx, Pniksnut. I'll keep that in mind. My pilot screws still have the protection plugs in place. Only reason I haven't touched them at this point is the manual said to leave them alone. The Dangar video Hoos mentioned gives a great explanation of how to adjust carbs, though, so a rookie like me might be able to pull it off. <smiling>

Thanks again. Most appreciated! I'll, for sure, post back when our weather clears & I can get back at it.

---
                    John

Comment

the factory says not to tutch them because if you make the mixture richer the CO doesn't correspond with the regualtion. but who care's if the engine isn't running good

Comment

Originally posted by pniksnut View Post
                        the factory says not to tutch them because if you make the mixture richer the CO doesn't correspond with the regualtion. but who care's if the engine isn't running good
                        Yes, I did a little reading up on those plugs & why they're installed. You're right .. It's an EPA thing. Turns out - if I understood correctly - those plugs are called "welch plugs". That's important to know, right? LOL
                        ---
                        John

Comment

Just rebuilt carbs on my 25. Cranks ans runs but starts spilling fuel after about 30 seconds. Seems to be coming from center carb. Any ideas?

Comment

If spilling fuel out of the throat of carb while running, generally this is because the float setting is not right, or the float needle valve needs to be replaced (not shutting fuel off when float bowl gets full of fuel).

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X