Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking Lower Unit Gear Oil Level While Docked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking Lower Unit Gear Oil Level While Docked?

Hey there -

Is there any way to check the gear oil level of the lower unit while in the water/docked on our DF90A? We don't have a trailer and are going through a time when one mechanic may have started winterizing last fall expecting to finish before this spring. This mechanic is no longer there and a new mechanic is taking over. I'm sure the new mechanic is fine and will make sure all is well, but still, how can I check the level to ensure without being able to check on dry land? Good old faith?

Thanks...

Normally it's not possible when you're in the water because you need to lower the engine to a vertical position. The fill and drain hole are below the waterline.
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

how many hours since it was serviced?
      It is a pretty impossible task to accomplish in the water.
      I would do some
      checking around and borrow a trailer - the dealer should be. a good source
      have new screws and washers
      Last edited by artdf175; 03-21-2018, 01:38 PM. Reason: add date

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured there was no way, but hoped there was a backup plan just in case. I imagine a lower unit with very low/no oil offers no tell-tale sign or noise, would it?

Thanks...

Comment

If it was really leaking you would see an oil slick
          Otherwise they are pretty bullet proof from what I can tell
          how do you deal with 100 hour oil changes?

you mentioned -winterizing- did the dealer provide an itemized receipt? winterizing should be a few hour job, not something that starts before winter and gets finished in the spring
          art

Comment

Well, I'm not thinking of leaking, but of previous mechanic draining the oil thinking they were going to replace it next spring and the new mechanic missing that the unit has no oil in it. I would normally drain and replace in the same operation, but I'm not doing it.

Comment

You can check if there is oil in the lower unit, you can’t check if it is the correct amount. Tilt the engine to expose the drain plug and SLOWLY back off the drain plug. Oil will seep out the partially backed off drain plug, you should be able to evaluate the condition of the oil with the dribble from the drain plug (new vs. used) Hip or chest waders would be handy. Art’s idea is the way I would go, borrow/rent a trailer and check the level. In my experience boat owners tend to help each other out, this forum is a good example. The borrowed trailer might cost you a case of beer, cheap for piece of mind! The boat doesn’t have to sit perfectly on the trailer, just good enough so you don’t damage the boat/trailer. You only need to pull the boat/trailer to level ground to do your check, not like your trailering it hundreds of kilometres.

Comment

With the tail in vertical position, the vent plug (upper one) is the best way to check. You fill from the bottom till it flows out of the vent plug.
                Regards, Martin
                DF200 2007

Comment

Sounds good. I'm looking at possible trailer options.

Thanks...

Comment

BYW- it is really important to know for sure all these little details before putting it back in the water
                    make s check list

Comment

Maybe part of my anxiety is that I think I am mechanically capable of doing general maintenance like this, but the added layer of being water-based without a trailer leads me to have someone else doing it...

Comment

Working...
                      X