DF140A Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140A Maintenance

First post and like most others that come to the forum I’m looking for some advice.

I’m getting set to retire in the Caribbean, a small island called Utila which is located beside Roatan. As near as I can tell there are no dealers located near me and no dealers of any type on the island. I’m assuming I’ll need to do my own service and repairs on any outboard I’ll purchase. I’ve been a Yamaha guy for the last 25 years, and that motor has been great, but I’ve read great things about Suzuki. I’m going to be buying a 26 ft Imemsa Panga and wanted to power it with a DF140A. The other option would be to put a Yamaha Enduro 115 2 stroke on, which is essentially the same motor I have now. I’d really rather have the better fuel economies that a 4 stoke and a panga hull will give.

I’ve done all my own maintenance and repairs on the cars and my outboard for years. Over the last 25 I’ve had someone else do a repair for me twice. That being said the new outboards are little more complex then my old 115 2 stroke.

I have a few questions:

1) Can codes be pulled remotely by a dealer if I have the cable interface hooked up to laptop with internet access. I’m assuming the software is proprietary and is dealer only.
    2) I notice this engine has solid lifters and uses a bucket and shim design to set the clearance that has to be adjusted as part of routine maintenance. Special tools? Does the cam have to come off? Does wear ever result in to tight a clearance as opposed to lose and valve train noise?
    3) Any other issues that could be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am not sure about pulling codes remotely, but the motor will give you a beep sequence that corresponds to different faults that are easily deciphered with a manual. I have been told by more than a few mechanics the lifters rarely need to be adjusted (although it is listed in routine maintenance). You might want to research that yourself.

I am not a mechanic, but have been doing my own stuff for years like you. I tore my engine down to the pistons a few years back, and I can honestly say, there's nothing that's too difficult to do on them.

These are good motors that will run for a long time. I just saw a complete running motor on Ebay with 5,000 hours that they were still asking 5k for! I would stock up on maintenance stuff before you leave for the island. Assuming it would take a while to get to you and/or expensive, I would stock up on:
    1) Internal/external zincs
    2) Under hood fuel filters
    3) 10 micron fuel filters/water separators
    4) NGK Spark plugs
    5) Lower unit gear oil
    6) quality marine engine oil. I Use synthetic Amsoil.

Good luck! Sounds like a great retirement plan. I really don't think you can go wrong with a Suzuki DF140a.

-Shawn

PS, I am assuming you are buying the DF140a new, right? Just mentioning it because the DF140 2007 and below had a soft metal plug in the exhaust that had a tendency to be a problem.

Comment

Most things you'll need can be had from the internet and delivered to you on your island paradise. The valve clearance has been known to close, to even LESS than ZERO, leading to obvious problems. I'm not saying it's common, only that it's not unknown. Sometimes, the clearances will tighten, sometimes loosen. So you'd be wise to be able to check the clearances at the prescribed 200 hour interval. And you can get a program and cable to do diagnostics on your engine with your laptop. The following would be good to have on hand, and would likely be obtained from an internet dealer anyway. 09916-69310 tappet holder for checking the valve clearance 09916-69310 HOLDER,TAPPET $170.40 best price I can find. BTW, you don't have to remove the cam.

Also this diagnostic kit Suzuki Marine Outboard Diagnostic Cable Kit Plug Play Best Buy | eBay I cannot be sure that this works on the newest line of lean-burn Suzukis, but it works fine on everybody's so far.

You won't know what shims you'll need to for your valve clearances until you've checked, so no point in buying any now. Just get them on the net. Same goes for most other items. Even Amsoil products, which I use also, can be had direct from the company via internet, and they have a preferred buyer program at Amsoil which, for a small annual fee, gets you dealer prices on all their products. They have all marine lube products that you'll need, including the oil filter. I live in central TX, too (Hill Country), and being in the boonies as I am, nearly all my automotive and marine needs are obtained on the internet.

Lastly .... if you don't have a Suzuki service manual for the motor, get one now.
      Last edited by Harper; 01-03-2016, 05:42 PM.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the reply; I wasn’t sure I’d get one on Sunday. You did guess right, I will be buying new.

I’d thought about all of the maintenance items you mentioned except for the zincs, good idea. I thought I’d keep about 2 years worth on hand as well as a impeller, plate, cup and gaskets. A service manual will be a must. We will be back to the states to visit at least once a year and I’m hoping dealers can ship me some parts if I need something in a hurry. I’ve also heard there is some interchangeability between Suzuki auto and marine parts?

If the motor gives codes with a “beep” that will work, at least it will point me in the right direction.

I’ve read that about the valves as well, that they rarely need adjustment. I also read that the first check used to be at 20 hours but it’s been moved to 100. If it’s that rare I may want to just check the clearance and only buy any special tools if I need to. If I need to change any shims out I’d have to order the correct one anyway, they list about 30-40 different thickness’s. Assuming the check is being done as recommended I would be surprised if it couldn’t wait 30 days.

Thanks again for the reply.

Locke

PS just saw Harper's reply, thanks.
        Last edited by CentralTexas; 01-03-2016, 06:27 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Harper,

Thanks for the response, great info. I’m in Bee Cave, west of Austin. I’m not sure if I’d call it “island paradise” but I can be a pretty happy guy with a good boat, beer cooler and fishing rod.

I’m glad I asked but surprised to hear the valve clearance can close. I don’t really understand how that can happen unless its set wrong at the factory or something in valve train wasn’t seated and moved after the factory setting. Will make sure I check it as recommended. Do you know if the first check is now recommended at 100 hours on 2016 engines?

Great link to the diagnostic program, that should make it a lot easier and I’ll confirm with the vendor that it works on new engines.

Everything else you mentioned duly noted. I’m going to be really surprised if internet orders get to me within 30 days. Everything in the Honduras moves slow, they have no mail service and the island if off the beaten path.

Thanks again.

Locke

Comment

I don't know if the time for valve clearance check has changed to 100 hours. It's always been every 200 hours in the past. Yet one more reason to get your self a service manual .

I've personally only heard of one instance of the clearances closing, and that was from artdf175 on this forum. He and I discussed it, and since he didn't buy his DF175 new, there's no way to know how the clearance on one of his valves got to a state of not even closing completely, and I don't recall how much thinner a shim he had to get to get the proper clearance. Could've been a factory screw-up, or maintenance done by the previous owner. My valves @ 200 hrs were not off very much, but some were a bit tight, and others a bit loose.

Hopefully with the long lead time needed for deliveries to your island, nothing will happen to shut you down, and all you'll ever need is stuff for routine preventive maintenance, for which you'll anticipate well in advance.

In any case, we're all always here for ya, to answer questions when we can and to hear your fishin' tales. I live on acreage between Harper and Fredericksburg, and have to drive to Port A to launch my 20' CC (a 500 mile round-trip). At least my younger brother lives in Rockport, and I don't have to stay in a motel for the week long trip. I try to get there 5-6 times/year.

Best of luck on your new island, Locke.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

If it were in your budget I would get a df150. Much better fuel system than the df140 and smaller engines.

Comment

Originally posted by humpinit View Post
                If it were in your budget I would get a df150. Much better fuel system than the df140 and smaller engines.
                I looked at the specs on the DF150 and don't see any significant difference between its fuel system and the DF140? I have, however, been debating between the DF115 and DF140. They are both essentially the same weight but I think I'd rather a few extra horses just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTexas View Post
                  I looked at the specs on the DF150 and don't see any significant difference between its fuel system and the DF140? I have, however, been debating between the DF115 and DF140. They are both essentially the same weight but I think I'd rather a few extra horses just in case.
                  I agree. Bigger is better on the briny deep. You might not use the other 25hp very often, but if you need it, nothing less will do.
                  Mike
                  μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I thought I’d post an update to this post that I made over 2 years ago.

I’m now retired and have been since April of 2017. My boat plan changed a little bit once I got moved down. I ended up meeting a man who builds skiffs on the island. After looking at some of his work I decided to go ahead and get him to build me one. It was about a 5 month project and the boat works well for what I wanted to do with it, fishing and island hopping. The island I live on is about 20-25 miles from two other islands and the mainland. The boat is 29 feet and large enough to run those distances on good days. It’s not fancy but really functional.

IMG_20180620_103824.jpg

Thanks for the help you gave me two years ago.

Comment

Hey Locke!! Great to hear from you. I would think that a local builder would be the way to go to get the boat you need for that area. That's great! Hope that DF140's met your expectations and given you no headaches.

P.S. That's a good lookin' boat!!
                      Mike
                      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                      X