Raise Engine Height - Your Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raise Engine Height - Your Opinion

While I don't have a picture of our DF90A running at cruise, it appeared to me that the engine was too low when I checked last season. Kind of hard to be 100% sure, but I couldn't see the anti-ventilation plate while under way although the two flanges above the anti-ventilation plate could be seen. The anti-ventilation plate is 2 inches below the motor mount pod's lowest level - Maybe 4-5 inches below water level at rest, This, I do have a picture of.

WOT is within recommended RPM and I don't loose grip in moderate to somewhat aggressive turns. I haven't just cranked it into a turn as tight as possible to check. Engine tilt/trim doesn't seem to affect speed too much, if at all, but I do notice some attitude change throughout the usable trim range.

I would like to raise it about 1-3/4 inches, but everything does work now, I would just like it to be as efficient as it chould be. I thought I would run it by here to get your opinion. Thanks...
    Attached Files

When you say the two flanges above the anti-ventilation plate could be seen, I'll assume that they're still in or just on the water while on plane. In which case your motor is too low. In any case, you can't see the a-v plate, so I'd say raise it 2". Be aware, the most efficient height will limit your ability to make hard turns at speed without encountering some ventilation.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Urbner, Moonlighter has an explanation on this topic in a sticky note on the homepage , where your outboard sits in relation to the keel is not as important as to where the cav sits when under way

Comment

Thanks. I've read Moonlighter's post on the subject and with the turbulence, I can't be 100% sure how much lower the anti-ventilation is below the surface. I may go up 2" and see what happens. Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

Working...
        X