No announcement yet.

Interface cables not getting power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I changed both engine harnesses. I did them plug for plug when I changed them so I know they are correct. All of the plugs are "keyed" so you really can't plug them in wrong. I didn't have any leftover to wonder where they go. I can't be the only person that has the connectors under my dash. This is just crazy! I have pictures of all of this to prove I have the plugs under my dash but they are too big to post. I will have to downsize them to post. I don't have that ability here at work to do that.

Comment

Yes I have helped some friends with older engines and we had to order the male plugs from Eastern Beaver Sumitomo HM4 connectors and build the cables myself. I have ordered the connectors this morning so I can build me 2 cables so I can get mine back up and running. That sucks because I had it working with the connectors under the dash. I just wanted that to work again. So much less work!!

Comment

My Df25A motor harness has a 4-pin connector at the end of the harness - which I suppose is what you're referring to as "under the dash" (though my harness is laying on the floor of my boat). When I first got my LMF-400 gauge, I plugged the engine interface into that harness connector on my brand new motor, assuming that because it fit, it was the right connector. But nothing. I learned later (probably from Moonlighter) that that harness connector is used for something else. (I'm not using it for anything.) I can't recall if it might have been used for analog gauges. If yours was working before, then I must assume that either (a) someone previously rigged your old harness in a special way under the cowling to connect the other end of that wire to the SDS connector, or (b) the gauge you were using before has some magical interface to interpret the analog gauge signals.

Comment

Originally posted by LITECATCH View Post
          Dang dude! I know the Garmin plugs into the 2000 network. Good GOD! How can I make you understand I had the system was working perfectly fine until my boat sank during a storm. The Suzuki interface cables plugged into the console end of my wiring harnesses not the engine end. Then the interface cables plugged into my 2000 network. I posted a picture of the engine data on the hull truth for you to see. I can't understand why you don't believe me when I explain that to you. When I started putting the system together I thought I had to plug the interface cables in under the cowling. Well the cable and the SDS port are female. So I called the Suzuki guy that installed the new (2015) engines on my boat and asked him how I was supposed to plug it in when the connectors are the same. He told me tht I did not need to be under the cowling at all. He said I have the plugs at the other end of the harness (at the console) for the interface cable to plug into. then add the T's and plug into the 2000 network. So I did and it worked flawless after I set it up with a Lowrance machine my friend has. Now that machine have moved to his house in the keys, hence the reason I bought the Suzuki digital gauges so I could program my new interface cables I had bought because I thought my old ones were bad from the sinking. Apparently my old ones are not bad because the new ones don't work either. Holy cow I am tired of typing!
          I think the best course of action would be for you to go back to that same guy (highlighted above) who you state installed your motors and advised you about the interface installation, and ask for his assistance to fix the problem.

We clearly cant offer you any further assistance on this forum.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-05-2018, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I understand, I do thank you for you guys help. I just thought yall might know of a fuse or something that I could check. Thank you guys!!

Comment

Update! I got the old engine harness out and looked close at the plugs. Where my new factory harness had the black plug plugged into the harness the old one had the gray one plugged into it. I guess the guy that installed my engines swapped it when he installed the engines. It looks like from the factory the black plug comes already plugged in. So with that said I swapped the black for the gray plug and it works!! My interface cables are still plugged in at the gauge end and not the engine end. Maybe this information can help someone else also!!

Comment

If I understand you correctly, I believe what you've done is what Moonlighter was advising earlier - you have effectively plugged the engine interface cable into the grey SDS connector under the cowling. If I recall correctly, on my DF25A engine if I disconnected the harness cable from the "black" connector, I lost the 3 LED displays (temp, oil, check engine) on the front of my motor. I believe the black connector in the engine interface harness is intended to convey those error signals from the motor to remote analog gauges. I think if you disconnect that "caution light" cable, you may technically void the engine warranty. But if your engines have been underwater, the warranty may be gone anyway. Using the cables as you describe is a clever solution IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                X