Suzuki Rip off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Rip off.

I feel like I'm in line to be ripped of by Suzuki.
    I own a Suzuki DRF 25 four stroke that I use quite a bit.
    The trim & tilt unit started leaking at the lift rod seal.
    On inspection, I found some pitting on the rod shaft.
    So I started looking for a rebuild kit.
    48000-89J03 POWER TRIM & TI
    Showa, the maker of the power lift, Does not offer repair seal kits for anything other than the motor.
    The lift ram cannot be repaired, and they want over 1/2 the cost of a completely new motor assembly with the lift included for the replacement lift assembly.
    I'll never buy Suzuki again and I'll advise every person I can against purchasing from this rip off manufacturer.
    Last edited by plumbertom; 04-02-2018, 04:12 PM.

Guess you're assuming it's different from Merc, Yammy etc? Or for that matter your Chevy truck or whatever you buy? Standard deal for almost any vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Moore View Post
      Guess you're assuming it's different from Merc, Yammy etc? Or for that matter your Chevy truck or whatever you buy? Standard deal for almost any vehicle.
      Correct, and Showa makes the PTT assembiles for most other outboard manufacturers too.

I do recall exactly the same thing applied for Yamaha motors, last time I checked anyway.

i also recall that someone found that they could get the seals required for the Yamaha from spe******t hydraulic seal suppliers, and it may be possible to also have the ram rod repaired, again by spe******t engineering shops. The problem of course is that the cost to have all that work done, disasembled, repaired and re-assembled makes it uneconomical, especially on a small hp engines. Simpler just to replace the whole assembly.

Prevention is the best cure. I always pay special attention to washing down the PTT assembly with fresh water after using the boat in salt water (which is all the time). An occasional spray with a light oil like WD40 isnt a bad idea either.
      Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-02-2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Moore View Post
        Yeah, right.
        You're help is greatly appreciated, Thank (I'd use a word that starts with F but don't want to violate the terms of use) you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

Correct, and Showa makes the PTT assembiles for most other outboard manufacturers too.

I do recall exactly the same thing applied for Yamaha motors, last time I checked anyway.

i also recall that someone found that they could get the seals required for the Yamaha from spe******t hydraulic seal suppliers, and it may be possible to also have the ram rod repaired, again by spe******t engineering shops. The problem of course is that the cost to have all that work done, disasembled, repaired and re-assembled makes it uneconomical, especially on a small hp engines. Simpler just to replace the whole assembly.

Prevention is the best cure. I always pay special attention to washing down the PTT assembly with fresh water after using the boat in salt water (which is all the time). An occasional spray with a light oil like WD40 isnt a bad idea either.
          I'm pretty sure the shaft could be polished out if the seals were available. Or even re-chromed. I've had that done on tractor rams.
          I suppose I could find a seal that would fit.
          Disassembling the ram may be the most difficult part of the whole job. I think it's a press fit.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertom View Post

Yeah, right.
            You're help is greatly appreciated, Thank (I'd use a word that starts with F but don't want to violate the terms of use) you very much.
            You weren't asking for help but simply slamming what is actually a good outboard for a complaint that you would have had with any other brand anyway and on a board where 99% of the members are both happy with and proud of their motors.. What did you expect? And I wasn't looking for thanks as I wasn't offering help. Only pointing out "I'll never buy Suzuki again and I'll advise every person I can against purchasing from this rip off manufacturer." is wrong, they're not a rip off and I didn't ask for your advice...

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertom View Post

Yeah, right.
              You can be banned for that comment. And I'll gladly oblige. You didn't ask for any help from anybody, young man. All you came here to do was complain. I'll fix it for you right now, if you wish.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

Yep, last year the same thing happened with a friend of mine on his Honda BF90. Trim seal are serviceable and easy to replace. Tilt tube was also an easy dismantle, only the seals where gone (1997). Despite the rod was easily serviceable, the seals aren't available as a part. Searched the whole internet. In the end bought the complete rod for about 500 euro's ($550).

See here:
                https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...onda-bf90.html
                Regards, Martin
                DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
                X