Adjust shifter after impeller replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjust shifter after impeller replacement

Do I assume that the engine needs to be running to properly adjust the shifter after an impeller replacement? I have a DT8C that the shifter feels like its not alighned properly, but don't have the engine running yet.

No, do not run. You should adjust before running if adjustments are needed. Does not do any good running if not going in, and out of gear properly, or fully.

Good luck, post back when able to let us know how it is going.

Comment

I checked it again. It seems like all the gears are there, but its not staying in reverse. There was no issue before taking it apart and the adjuster is very close to where it was before. I don't want to ruin anything and am ready to fire the engine up after the carb service. Would there be any danger in doing so?

Comment

This isn't an answer to your question, but tossing you a new question: Do you have the service manual for your engine? Just about everybody on this forum will recommend you get one. On mine (DF25), there's a reference as to where an arm should be relative to neutral in forward vs reverse. Here's what my manual says:
        "Shift the clutch lever from Neutral through Forward and Re-
        verse to check that proper engagement of both gears is at
        an equal angle from Neutral.
        • If Forward gear engages earlier (at a smaller angle) than
        Reverse, the turnbuckle should be rotated clockwise until
        both gears engage with the same amount of clutch lever
        travel.
        • If Reverse gear engages earlier than Forward, the turn-
        buckle should be rotated counterclockwise."

Note that YOURS MAY BE DIFFERENT so best if you get the manual for your motor. I'm only trying to illustrate that the info you're looking for may indeed be in it. Hope this helps.
        ---
        John

Comment

I do have the manual for my motor - the adjustment procedure is pretty much the same.

Its really not a tough thing conceptually, it just seems like its hesitant to stay in reverse and its been so long since I remember running the engine if that is how it was.

Comment

If it's adjusted by the book and still doesn't want to stay in reverse, it's now above my pay grade. Sorry, but good luck. When you get it squared away, please post the fix.
            ---
            John

Comment

Working...
            X