DF 150s Clicking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 150s Clicking noise

I have twin DF 150s from 2010 and both have developed clicking noises (first one and then the other) at all RPMs that appear to be in the to right side of the engine. Any ideas?

How many hours on both? Maintenance history?
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

Have you checked your valve clearances?

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have 600 on both. Change oil filters every 100; plugs ever 300 and do drive work every winter (about 100 hours a season. have never checked valve clearance. Sound does not seem to be in the back. i will try to post sound. Started in one and now in both.

Comment

+ No issues with either, no major repairs and both run well.

Comment

Are you saying that the clicking varies with engine speed, or that it just clicks the same at all RPMs?
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I think it does increase with RPMs. Hard to hear at higher speeds over regular engine noise.

Comment

You really should check those valve clearances. They're supposed to be checked every 200 hours. The valves on our motors have a tendency to tighten up in their first few hundred hours, so what you perceive as a click might well be a small puff of air from a valve that doesn't quite close, or closes late or opens early, and is leaking.
                Last edited by Harper; 04-13-2018, 07:56 AM.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks Mike. Would I have noticible performance issues if that were the case.

Have you ever ever see a tensioner for timing change cause ticking?

Comment

I wouldn't expect you to notice any performance issues right away, but if it is tight valves, you will run into performance issues before too long as exhaust valves in particular would start to burn due to insufficient seated dwell time. I've never experienced any ticking of any sort on my '07 DF150, so I can't answer about the timng chain tensioner.
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I have two new to me 2006 DF140's with 600 hours on each. One had some minor performance issues which turned out to be caused by tight exhaust valves and required a major cylinder head rebuild. The other engine had no performance issues but did have a ticking noise. This engine turned out to have several loose intake valves. I haven't reset the clearances yet but I suspect the ticking will disappear when I do. Seems most shops around here don't check valve clearances unless there's some performance issues and by that point there can be significant damage to the cylinder head.

Comment

The performance issues on the engine with the tight valves were: An occasional stall when going from idle to full throttle but only after the engine had ran for a while, an occasional MAP sensor 2 code and a slight vibration at idle most noticeable when I ran the engine on muffs in the yard.

Comment

Out here in Aus, some dealers were neglecting to do the first valve clearance check as per the service schedule, which I think was specified at 200 hours.

When the motors had problems caused by this, Suzuki made the dealers eat the cost of the warranty repairs. Word soon got around, and they all do the required checks now. The service requires a special tool, (some members have fabraicated their own) but also requires a valve shim kit from Suzuki.

So even if this is not the problem, have the valve clarances checked!
                          Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-15-2018, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks all for the info.

Some folks have in other forums have discussed bearings wearing out and making ticking sounds. Sound plausible or not?

As to the valve check, easier said than done fining a knowledgeable Suzuki mechanic in Chicago with experience on the bigger outboards. So if anyone has names it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the posts.

Comment

Checking valve clearance sa relative simple task, adjusting valve clearance is another thing. You need the tapper holder to do it correctly.
                              JIm

Comment

Working...
                              X