No announcement yet.

Valve Tappet Clearance write-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the DF140's it is possible to remove and replace the shims by removing the camshaft housing bolts and lifting the camshaft. That's the method I used after a failed attempted to make a tool similar to the one Art made. It can be done pretty easily without disturbing the position of the timing chain. The bolts on the housing closest to the timing chain don't need to be completely removed.

Comment

Did you remove the cam cap and use the cap bolts to hold you tool?

Comment

I thought I replied .but don't see it..
        No the tool I made, I found a couple of screws (in photo) that fit the thread size.. these actually have an allen head and use a cut off allen bit in my drill for screwing it in and out..
        If I am remembering the cam bolts were too short and I didn't want to ruin them having to take them in and out so many times..

And Duane.. re all the bolts for the Cam shaft.. when I looked at the assembly and the fact that you have to rotate it multiple times, I didn't want to take the risk of something falling apart unannounced that I would then have to attempt getting back together correctly.. and you need the cam securely tightened down to do measurement

Art

Comment

Art,
          I had the same concerns so I checked and recorded all my clearances before removing the caps. Then I removed the first four caps and partially loosened the bottom cap that spans both shafts. This gave me enough clearance to pop out all of the shims, mic and record the thicknesses and location and loosely bolt the caps in place until I received the correct shims. I followed the same process to install the new shims. Much easier with the tool but if anyone is in a pinch this will work.

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
            looks like it posted ok
            This was made from a 6 inch open end wrench(?) that was for one of my grinders
            took a lot of heating to bend it without the metal breaking
            when centered it allows you to depress the collar that holds the shims in place on both of valves.
            Art
            You mean it holds 2 valves at the same time.? 1 finger on each valve.?

Comment

this is not the best forum for messages especially the new software
              but to answer your question yes
              I dont know what Suzuki is selling the part for now but when I needed one it was something like $400
              the heck with that so I made one that works for me
              Art

Comment

I seen a pic of the one they sell for 170. Doesn't look like much to it. I will make my own also. I still have 160hrs to go.

Comment

Working...
                X