2017 Twin Suzuki 175s - Shorted out and wont start - Melting battery post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Twin Suzuki 175s - Shorted out and wont start - Melting battery post

Have had these motors right at 1 yr now... just hit 400 hrs on last trip out... so far been excellent... I have kept up with oil changes and filters etc... our last trip we were coming in from offshore and were about 25 miles out... the port motor shutoff.... tried to start it back up and all it did was 1 click... so tried to get up on plane with 1 motor for few minutes wasn't happening. I stopped to try and maybe change battery cables over from one battery to another... well that didn't work either and then we had 0 motors.... ended up being a late night and tow in from coast guard. I was at a loss about what happened.. but took the batteries home with me and checked... 1 was ok 1 was bad... bought 2 brand new batteries and took them to the dock the next morning where the boat was left at. put first battery in and starboard fired right up... put 2nd battery in and the port motor melting negative post on battery in about 2 seconds. so anyways limped over to ramp on the one motor and put boat on trailer... I just checked to see if maybe something was going on with starter since was just one click noise when turning key... I swapped starters between 2 motors... no diff... so that eliminates that idea.... just sparking and clicking at the moment....

any help or ideas is greatly appreciated!

Jason
    904 894 9665

Originally posted by jasonluke9027 View Post
    Have had these motors right at 1 yr now... just hit 400 hrs on last trip out... so far been excellent... I have kept up with oil changes and filters etc... our last trip we were coming in from offshore and were about 25 miles out... the port motor shutoff.... tried to start it back up and all it did was 1 click... so tried to get up on plane with 1 motor for few minutes wasn't happening. I stopped to try and maybe change battery cables over from one battery to another... well that didn't work either and then we had 0 motors.... ended up being a late night and tow in from coast guard. I was at a loss about what happened.. but took the batteries home with me and checked... 1 was ok 1 was bad... bought 2 brand new batteries and took them to the dock the next morning where the boat was left at. put first battery in and starboard fired right up... put 2nd battery in and the port motor melting negative post on battery in about 2 seconds. so anyways limped over to ramp on the one motor and put boat on trailer... I just checked to see if maybe something was going on with starter since was just one click noise when turning key... I swapped starters between 2 motors... no diff... so that eliminates that idea.... just sparking and clicking at the moment....

any help or ideas is greatly appreciated!

Jason
    904 894 9665
    '''''''' First thing rotate the motor by hand just to make sure it will turn, disconnect the battery positive and any other cables on the starter solenoid, make sure the battery isolator is set for the bad battery leave all the grounds hooked up.
    Use a test light and connect the test light connector to battery positive and touch the probe on the battery pos cable, if it lights the battery cable is going to ground somewhere. I think you may have connected a battery cable to ground instead of battery pos, to blow a post off the battery, if that sought of current went to ground while the motor was running it would have melted the cable and caught fire.

Comment

Working...
    X