rev counter and warning lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rev counter and warning lights

Hi All I'm new to this forum and new to boat ownership also as I recently bought a Flecture Cruisette which has come with a lovely Suzuki DT60 outboard, my question is how can I wire a rev counter to the engine and are there any warning lights that could also be connected e.g. oil level or temperature ? Many thanks in advance

There is a Suzuki tachometer (rpms), and monitor guage unit (warning lights, diagnostic codes) that can be purchased for your motor. I do not know what wiring set up you have presently? These guages should be just what you're looking for. If you don't have the wiring, that also can be ordered. But what year is your motor?

Post back when able.

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for the quick reply, do the attached pictures help ? I don't have any information for the engine so don't know the year of manufacturer ?
      Attached Files

Comment

ive also got this picture
        Attached Files

Comment

This is the plate on the engine
          Attached Files

Comment

The serial number plate indicates it is model
            DT60, ser #6001 - 801641
            The DT60 #6001 indicates it is 1980's, and the rest of the serial number "801641" should identify your motor as 1988. But both, Boats.net & Brown's point marine only show listings for 1983 & 1984, DT60's.

This just means you will probably have an extremely difficult time searching for parts, and everyone might tell you they didn't make the dt60 then.

Also, in 1998 for the dt60, the serial number should read, 6001F - 86****.

So in the serial number chart, your motor definately should be a 1988, DT60.

Your best bet, is if buying or looking for parts order/purchase guages (tach & monitor) for an 1988 dt60, if that fails, the 1988, dt55 & dt65 should be similar guages and wiring for your motor. However, any motor mechanical parts may be harder to matchup?

Good luck, post back when able if having problems.

Comment

Save that decal on the motor, it is a basic wiring schematic.

I believe that bottom left (where "W"hite wire should go from "rectifier" to..) square should read "batt charge".

So if you get guages for your year motor the wire colors should be very close to that chart/decal.

Good luck again.

Comment

Many thanks Solarman for the advice, one more thing does it have to be a tachometer for the outboard or will any 2-stroke tachometer work ?

Comment

As long as the tach you buy has a switch on the back for 3, 6, or 12 poles on the back you should be fine, waterproof case is a big plus on a boat. Ground the case, or if multiple wires they should label them. One wire should be ground, one should be tach (will go to that "Y"ellow wire at rectifier/magneto connector - either one), then there may be another wire for a night light -connect to positive terminal on light switch, so light works when running lights are on.

The pole switch on back may need to be changed? If RPMs seem too high, or too low try a different position, most newer motors use the 12 pole switch position, but not sure what yours runs on.

if you hooked up a guage for batt volts, one wire would go to batt charge "W", one for ground and another to positive on light switch. If either guage only has 2 wires then a ground should go to the case. They should tell you.

If you have a wiring harness connected to motor, that goes to the steering console, then you will have to trace which wires connect to where on motor before connecting at console. Where able staying with same colors is the rule of thumb.

Good luck.
                  Last edited by Solarman; 05-20-2018, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks again Solarman, I've got next week off work so will be spending time on the engine servicing it and hopefully wiring some gauges :-)

Comment

Good luck. Post back if any problems. Oh you probably don't need a guage that goes much over 6K - 7K rpms, the most you'll run is 5500 rpms, so ....look for something from "0 - 7K" rpms, with the switch on back (should be covered by rubber plug), and waterproof.

Comment

Working...
                      X