2005 DF140 lower leg seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 DF140 lower leg seals

Hey guys, I got a question and I'm planning on dropping my lower leg to service but before I do that I wanted to order all the required gaskets and seals so ill have on me when I do the maintenance.
    Does the lower leg have a gasket or a o-ring that seals off the lower leg and the motor housing?
    Also any recommendations on which seal kit to order to perform all seals on the lower leg?
    thanks guys,

There are no gaskets or seals between the lower unit and mid section. If your maintenance only includes replacing the water pump impeller, all necessary "0" rings and gaskets will be include in the water pump kit.

Addition seals will only be required is you find that the lower unit is contaminated with water of if the lower unit is leaking oil.

Jim

Comment

Sorry to mention on my previous post this will be the first time I'm dropping a lower leg and performing this kind of maintenance but i do have the skills to perform these tasks. I recently got this motor and wanted to perform the maintenance so I can start and keep track of the maintenance history. I have no info on maintenance history from the previous owner.
      jhydroman, thanks for the info. and yes the lower unit gear oil has no signs of any water in it just gear oil that i see.
      Since the lower unit will be dropped and ill be replacing the impeller and gasket should I also replace the o-ring and lip seal for the gear shaft and the o-ring for the clutch rod plate?
      and if i do a pressure test what is the recommended PSI reading on the gauge before blowing out any seals?
      thanks,

Comment

Just an FYI if you ordered the maintenance kit. The bolts that hold the lower unit to midsection are the perfect size to use as a jack screw to push apart the anode covers. Don't try prying the anode covers off by sticking a flat head screwdriver in them!

Comment

Make sure that you oil leak is not caused by one of the oil plugs, The washer on the plugs should be replaces when the plugs are being removed for checking oil level.
          I will have to check on what the recommended pressure is for testing

Jim

Comment

Do not exceed 15 PSI, recommend using a hand pump for testing, any bicycle pump should meet your needs.
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by LPowers View Post
              Just an FYI if you ordered the maintenance kit. The bolts that hold the lower unit to midsection are the perfect size to use as a jack screw to push apart the anode covers. Don't try prying the anode covers off by sticking a flat head screwdriver in them!
              Are u referring to the anode covers on the engine block? the 3 circle ones?

Comment

Originally posted by jHydroman View Post
                Do not exceed 15 PSI, recommend using a hand pump for testing, any bicycle pump should meet your needs.
                Jim
                thanks Jim, when I do a pressure test how long should I hold the pressure for?

Comment

Should hold for at least 5 min. per shop manual.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Glasspro View Post

Are u referring to the anode covers on the engine block? the 3 circle ones?
                    yes i believe there are 3 inline vertically, then 2 on the port side. Egg shaped covers.

Comment

thanks Jim & Lp Powers for the information I’ll be ordering the maintenance kit and performing 500hr maintenance on my motor.

Comment

Working...
                      X