Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions regarding impeller change on DF 200...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding impeller change on DF 200...

I just changed the water pump impeller on my 2006 Suzuki DF200. I had a few questions that I wanted to make sure that I am good on.

1. When removing the lower unit, a grommet fell from where the shift shaft connects to the power head. It goes over the shift shaft and sits where the shift shaft goes into the power head. It was pretty dry rotted and probably was not serving a purpose for quite some time. Am I okay without this? It looks like it would be a pretty major job to get up in there to replace it. It would involve removing the lower unit and taking the side panels off the engine.

2. I used Mercury 2-4-C special lubricant pretty liberally on the impeller fins. It is similar to the Mercury special lubricant 101. Was this ok to use? I did not put globs of it on or anything, but I wanted to make sure it was safe for the impeller and that it will not cause an issue with water passages.

3. I replaced all of the water pump impeller components including the the metal plate, metal housing, plastic impeller housing and o-ring. I did have some difficulty getting the O-ring to seat in the groove in the plastic housing. It was difficult to get the impeller vanes turning the right way and make sure that the o ring was seating well, but I am assuming if it's pumping water it must be good?

In the end, I am probably worrying too much. This is my first impeller change, and I just want to be sure that I am in the good! The engine ran fine so I am hoping is well. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jserr68594; 05-27-2018, 11:35 PM.

1. I Don't know
    2. 2-4-C is oke. Also th e 101 is. Not to much. although. Just a little to lubricate the impeller at startup. The water is washing it away eventually
    3. If it's is pumping water good then you can assume that the fitting is correct. If it leaks then you have no or poor water flow. A tip that I use on almost all impellers, push down the housing on the impeller while turning the drive shaft in the correct direction. Then you force the blades in the right position. Easy job.
    Last edited by Hoosmatroos; 05-29-2018, 08:42 AM. Reason: Typo
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Comment

My manual calls for “a light coating of water resistant grease”. My neighbor at the lake uses dish soap.

Comment

Both are fine.
          Regards, Martin
          DF200 2007

Comment

I figured out the name of the Grommet. It is the shift Rod dust seal.

Comment

Originally posted by jserr68594 View Post
              I figured out the name of the Grommet. It is the shift Rod dust seal.
              Dust seal on an outboard?

Comment

Working...
              X