Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does This Water Flow At Idle Look Correct ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does This Water Flow At Idle Look Correct ?

Good evening;

A new member here, and I have a question regarding the amount and velocity of the water flowing out of this Suzuki DF50.

I am purchasing a pontoon boat with a DF50 and the seller sent me a video of the engine idling to show me how it ran. I immediately observed that it was not pumping water, and pointed this out to the seller. The seller thought it may have been the fit of the muffs to the engine. I didn't think so. Anyway, the seller took the boat to the boat ramp and started the engine and it is indeed pumping water as shown in the video.

My question is, does the amount of water, and the velocity that its being pumped out at with the engine idling look normal to you guys with more experience than I have with the DF50?

Is there a way to have the DF50 checked out at the marina to see if there is any damage ?

What should the compression read on the cylinders ?

I greatly appreciate all help and advice ...... Thank you !
    Last edited by FredMcIntire; 05-28-2018, 10:57 PM.

This is the first video without any water pumping out....

Comment

Seems a little week compared to my DF90. Suggest you take it to a Suzuki dealer and have them check for overheating codes.

Comment

Yes, if that video of it in the water was taken after it had been running for a few minutes, the stream does look a bit weak and inconsistent to me.

First, I would be tempted to poke some heavy mono line up the water outlet and wriggle it around, with the engine running in a drum of water, just in case there is a bit of sand or dirt in there that is partly disrupting the flow. If that makes no difference, then I would suggest a water pump service, the impeller may be hardened or damaged and not pumping as well as it should.

I also have a DF40A (same motor as the 50) and a DF115. Those rectangular muffs used in the video do not work well with our Suzuki’s - I had a pair and they were just barely OK on the 115 but hopeless on the 40. I found this out personally, I could not get the 40 to pee unless I held theose rectangular muffs on hard by hand.

Dont worry too much though, the Suzuki overheat protection system will ring alarms and then shut off the motor if it gets too hot, before any real damage (other than to the impeller) can be done.

The best muffs by far for our Suzukis are the small round soft ones. They also are the cheapest. My Zuke dealer put me onto them, they are all he uses at the shop for all motors from the smallest to the biggest horsepower. Thats what I use now on both my Zukes.

Comment

The small round ones are oke. I use them also on every motor.

Back to the pee of the 50. Looks like the end tip on the exit is gone. The water flows like it's a 7 inch pipe. normally the the flow is harder but smaller
          Regards, Martin
          DF200 2007

Comment

I appreciate everyone's input. I feel good knowing that Suzuki has a good built in overheating protection system in place. Hoosmatroos, I too suspected that the end tip may be missing. I think a water pump service would be cheap insurance since I don't know the history of the engine.

Can you tell me what compression should be on the cylinders ?

Thanks so much !
            Fred

Comment

Suzuki have a maintenance kit that has everything you need, $115 in Canada for my engine. Suggest you get a Suzuki Service manual should you buy the boat, stick with the genuine Suzuki manual it is well worth the money. It will have the cylinder compression specs. your looking for.

Comment

I have always used the same muffs on my DF150 that Fred uses here, and the water supplied to the motor is more than adequate. But the intakes must be different on the DF140 and smaller engines. My muffs are situated vertically over the intakes rather than in a horizontal arrangement as shown in the video. They seal well, with some leakage due to more water volume than needed by the motor.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I didn’t see what year this engine is
                  Maintenance records? the seller should provide you with those or the dealer he used may have some
                  with weak water flow one of the first questions is -when was the water pump last serviced?”
                  reason for question on how old is the engine and then how many hours has it been run?
                  Art

Comment

I have the same engine and had also problem with the muffs. Bought the origninal flush Hose Attachment, which worked fine.
                    In idel state my water flow is poor, but steady. Would suggest to flush your engine with a good salt remover or similar product.

Comment

I have a df50 and to get the flow going on muffs I need to tape off the aux intake, which is on the bottom of the plate directly above the prop, and it does look like the tip is missing, my stream is alot narrower.

Comment

Working...
                      X