Df140 2005 tell tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Df140 2005 tell tale

Hey guys I got another topic to talk about. Does anyone know what is the purpose on the tell tale for? And if it is blocked due to rubbish and no water peeing out would this cause a gradient overheat that the ecm would force the motor into a safe mode without any warning lights or buzzer?
    thanks guys for your time.

The tell tale is there so you can check if the impeller pumps water to the engine. If it's blocked, the cooling of the engine isn't in danger on most engines. Some (like de Mercury Optimax) are in danger when the tell tale isn't there.

99 out of 100 there is some rubbish before the exit. That's why you always have to carry a paperclip or something thin to poke the hole.
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

Hey martin thank for the reply, do you think with having a blockage or semi blockage at the tell tale could affect a gradient temperature rise but not a warning or true overheating? I have history codes of 8x gradient overheat from previous owner but currently I don't have any current codes at the moment.
      reasons I'm asking these questions is I'm trying to figure out what's causing gradient overheat on my motor which I'm assuming it going into a safety mode and retarding my RPM up to 3100 max throttle under load.
      any rpm under 3100 is fine with no problems but as soon I try to wot I'm maxed at 3100rpm which I know is in a safe mode.
      I'm just trying to do process of elimination.

Thanks,

Comment

What kind of maintenance records did you get from the previous owner, especially relating to the water pump?
        regardless of the hours of operation the impeller should be replaced every two years, obviously more often with heavy usage
        Art

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
          What kind of maintenance records did you get from the previous owner, especially relating to the water pump?
          regardless of the hours of operation the impeller should be replaced every two years, obviously more often with heavy usage
          Art
          I don't have any records of when the last maintenance done from previous owner. and their is no way I can contact that previous owner. I bought the outboard from my friend who bought the boat a year ago and probably only put 10hrs on it since he got it. the DF140 is a 2005 with only 462 hours on it total. I hooked up the computer to it and that's how I got the hours.

Comment

I see from your other thread that you have ordered a full maintenance kit and will be doing the water pump service.

I would get that job done and then see how things go.

Every chance that the old water pump impeller is old and hard or “set” in one position, and thus at speed is not pumping like it should be. The temp therefore increases rapidly causing the temp gradient alarm. At idle or lower speeds it could be fine. Impellers on motors that are not used much or at all are prone to this kind of issue.

I had a work colleague with a Yamaha 60 on his boat, problem was he hardly ever used the boat, at most every 18 months he would use the boat, and every time it would throw an overheat alarm, so he would get the water pump serviced, use it a week later to make sure and it was always fine. Then not use it for 18 months and same thing would happen again. Repeat again ......

So do the service first, and recheck.
            Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-08-2018, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Totally agree with Moonlighter, just went thru the same symptoms helping a friend with same engine. He had changed his impeller within the last two years and was sure it couldn't be a bad impeller. After much frustration try to isolate the problem he finally dropped the lower unit and checked the impeller. Sure enough it had taken a set, changes impeller and all was fine.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                I see from your other thread that you have ordered a full maintenance kit and will be doing the water pump service.

I would get that job done and then see how things go.

Every chance that the old water pump impeller is old and hard or “set” in one position, and thus at speed is not pumping like it should be. The temp therefore increases rapidly causing the temp gradient alarm. At idle or lower speeds it could be fine. Impellers on motors that are not used much or at all are prone to this kind of issue.

I had a work colleague with a Yamaha 60 on his boat, problem was he hardly ever used the boat, at most every 18 months he would use the boat, and every time it would throw an overheat alarm, so he would get the water pump serviced, use it a week later to make sure and it was always fine. Then not use it for 18 months and same thing would happen again. Repeat again ......

So do the service first, and recheck.
                My plan since I got this motor was to fish to catch yellowfin tuna season and they are biting like crazy and when it slows I was gonna do the 500hr maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by jHydroman View Post
                  Totally agree with Moonlighter, just went thru the same symptoms helping a friend with same engine. He had changed his impeller within the last two years and was sure it couldn't be a bad impeller. After much frustration try to isolate the problem he finally dropped the lower unit and checked the impeller. Sure enough it had taken a set, changes impeller and all was fine.

Jim
                  When u n ur friend dropped the lower leg did u guys also check and service the other seals on the lower leg. Also did u guys try to flush using the pickup tube?

Comment

The lower unit didn't show any signs of leaking and lower unit oil was clear and no signs of water in the oil. Not sure hoe you would back
                    flush the pickup tubes.

Jim

Comment

ok guys I had a chance to take the boat out this past weekend and test the motor at (trolling speeds) for few hours straight at 2500-3000rpm I found that when I tried to WOT I only could hit 3800rpm max roughly about 20 seconds intervals and I tried this a few times and noticed each time the rpm would start to drop down to 3100rpm so I stopped and turned off the motor and turn it back on and tried again but would only max out at 3100rpm. all this time I had no warnings or buzzer alarms. would u guys have any idea what this could mean? I did hook up the computer software and found no current faults

Comment

Working...
                      X