Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange alarm & stoppage Suzuki DF 20 HP

Hello:
    I recently purchased a 15 foot Gheenoe with a tiller steer 2014 Suzuki 20 HP 4 stroke motor. I paid to have a small console installed, steering and a Suzuki control box & cables installed. Also, the motor was serviced with water pump, plugs & oil change. The motor has been running beautifully. Yesterday I was running in a river and the motor sputtered and the alarm went off. I waited and restarted it, checked for intake blockage, found none, and the motor alarm went off again and the motor stalled. When the motor initially restarted, water seem to be coming from the pisser in a normal fashion. (Nice paddle to the ramp) Now the motor won't start, alarm on, although it does fire, sputter and stop.

Any thoughts? If it was a water pump why is the pisser working and why won't it start when cool? Thank you very much for any suggestions?

Dan

When you say the alarm went off, can you describe more precisely please - was it a continuous alarm or a series of beeps? If it was a series, what was the sequence?

It is hard to tell whats happening from here, so give us as much detail as possible.

This could be anything from overheating to an electrical problem ....... given the work done and the fact the alarm is going off after the engine has cooled down, it could be an electrical connection issue - one thing to always check with efi 4 strokes like our Suzukis is that all wiring connections are good, battery is fully charged and terminals are clean. If they dont get good power to the ecu, they will do weird things, throw alarms, and sometimes will not run properly or at all. It is possible that a wiring connection in the key switch area, harness or battery area has become loose and now is an open connection or shorted.

So starting by going over all the electrical stuff, from front to back, is a really good idea.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-10-2018, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
      When you say the alarm went off, can you describe more precisely please - was it a continuous alarm or a series of beeps? If it was a series, what was the sequence?

It is hard to tell whats happening from here, so give us as much detail as possible.

This could be anything from overheating to an electrical problem ....... given the work done and the fact the alarm is going off after the engine has cooled down, it could be an electrical connection issue - one thing to always check with efi 4 strokes like our Suzukis is that all wiring connections are good, battery is fully charged and terminals are clean. If they dont get good power to the ecu, they will do weird things, throw alarms, and sometimes will not run properly or at all. It is possible that a wiring connection in the key switch area, harness or battery area has become loose and now is an open connection or shorted.

So starting by going over all the electrical stuff, from front to back, is a really good idea.
      Thank you. I think I remember a continuous beep? However, am not sure. The batteries are new, however, the guys who installed the wiring were supervised students at a technical school so I bet they screwed up the wiring? What's weird is the motor ran perfectly for 5-6 hours prior to the event? Do you think it's a possible thermostat issue?

Dan

Comment

Wiring issue would be more likely. Sometimg not connected properly or wire come loose.

Comment

Working...
        X