Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reset Trip Fuel on SMIS Garage wont Reset

Hello,

My reset trip fuel won't reset on the SMIS gauge. I follow the instructions in the manual & when I press enter to reset the trip fuel it reverts back to the same number that was on the screen when I began. Can anyone suggest any possible solutions?

I notice in the SMIS manual it references a fluid level sensor to read fuel or a theoretical level based on consumption numbers. I just purchased this boat. How can I determine if it has fluid level sensor or not?

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike and welcome!

I suspect you are not doing the reset quite right. Unfortunately the SMIS manual leaves a lot to be desired - it’s wording is quite unclear in many respects.

The first thing to remember is that the engine key must be turned on (to where it beeps) but engine doesnt need to be running when you are doing this procedure.

I havent used a SMIS gauge for a while, but from memory, you select menu/menu then select refill tank (or set to full) and hit enter. It may then pop up a menu if you have more than 1 tank, you then select the tank you filled then hit enter. If you have only 1 tank it will pop up a question “do you want to calibrate” select No and hit enter again. I think it then pops up a message saying hit enter when you have refilled the tank, so hit enter again. This takes you back to the main screen. Thats it, done. It will reset the figure for fuel used to zero.

Regarding the fluid level sensor, yes the SMIS can show fuel level from a tank level sensor as well as the calculated fuel used/remaining as described in the procedure I have just outlined above. However fuel level from a sensor is NEVER expressed as a figure, it is only shown on a dial or bar graph, the same as an analogue fuel tank gauge.

So if you are seeing a figure for fuel used and remaining, it is coming from the engine interface.

It is critical for the accuracy of the system that any time you add fuel to the tank, you MUST go into the fuel menu and do the fuel reset procedure, otherwise the fuel used/fuel remaining figure will be wrong!

also one last note: if you have a Lowrance or Simrad display on your boat and it is connected to the Suzuki network, you can do the refuel process thru them rather than thru the SmIS gauge. The process is similar but tends to be a bit simpler and clearer to do than on the SMIS gauge.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-22-2018, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Hello Moonlighter,

Thanks for the reply.

To make sure I'm understanding correctly in order to reset the trip fuel the manual says to (I have one engine btw):

1. Press MENU MENU, and FUEL SETUP is the default location.
      2. FUEL SETUP is Highlighted and you can press ENTER.
      3. Highlight RST TRIP FUEL and press ENTER. The Select Engine menu will appear with up to four options (Port, Center, Starboard and All Engines), depending on the engine-tank configuration you selected during Boat Setup. (If you have one tank, the Press Enter to reset Trip Fuel message will appear.)
      4. Select the desired option and press ENTER. The following message will appear: Press Enter to reset Trip Fuel.
      5. Press ENTER, which will reset the trip fuel and take you back to the main display.

Are you saying I have to refill the tank? I have a 180 gallon tank and depending on the fishing I may go many trips before I refuel. It wouldn't make sense to have to refuel to see how much fuel is burned during a single trip.

I cant say for sure if the key was turned on where it beeped or just enough to power the gauge. Although I though I tried it when the engine was running as well. I do have a Simrad unit so I can check that as well.

THanks, Mike

Comment

In the refuel menu you get 2 options - to fill to full, or to do a partial fill.

You do what is called a partial fill - where you have added some fuel but not filled up to full.

In the refuel menu, select partial fill. It will then pop up a window where you input the amount of fuel added. follow the prompts from there, and it will adjust the fuel remaining/fuel used based on the amount you added.

the engine key needs to be on, otherwsie the network does not recognise the Suzuki and cannot update fuel data.

with the engine key on, you can also fo int9 the duel menu using the Simrad, and ypu can do the same process to fill up or add fuel in the fuel menu there.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-22-2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

One suggestion: Next time you refill the tank to full, reset the fuel used back to zero and leave it alone until you refill the tank again. Take the value the SMS displays after your first trip and start a fuel log noting the fuel used last trip. Continue on this way keeping track of the fuel used each trip and when the fuel used starts getting close to the tank capacity (If the tank holds 180 gallons consider your capacity @ 170 gallons for safety's sake) As your fuel used goes up your capacity goes down, right? At the end of the day a quick glance at the SMS will let you know if you need to refill before your next trip. Our boat holds 48 gallons and when we reach 38-40 gallons on the SMS fuel used we plan on filling up before the next trip. I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
          X