Suzuki DF90A Trim and Tilt Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF90A Trim and Tilt Problems

Our outboard can tilt up, but not down. Can either a solenoid or a low-powered battery be the problem? We checked cables, wires, etc. (they were just loose)--still can't tilt down.

We're having a terrible time getting our local dealer (the one we bought our outboard from) to respond to calls or e-mails. We live in rural Alaska and can't just bring our motor to a mechanic--we have to ship it.

Comment

Do you hear the pump when you push the down button?
      Regards, Martin
      DF200 2007

Comment

I would start ny checking the trim/tilt switch on the side of the engine
        mine was doing something similar and water had got into that switch and corroded the contacts
        I was able to take the switch apart and clean the contacts to get it working while I was waiting for s new switch
        Try disconnecting the switch and then operating the trim from helm
        If it works okay at that point you will know tge switch is the problem
        Art

Comment

You have relays in the fuse box inside the motor, pop the cover off and listen for a click when the button (up or down) is pushed and start there. Also verify if it won't tilt down at either the helm or motor switch, if just one then it's a wiring/switch issue. If I remember right the relays are matching so you can swap the up relay for the down relay and see if the trouble reverses as well. The computer handles the request from the helm switch, hopefully it isn't that, horribly expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Priscilla View Post
            Our outboard can tilt up, but not down. Can either a solenoid or a low-powered battery be the problem? We checked cables, wires, etc. (they were just loose)--still can't tilt down.
            How about the limit S/W on the tilt tube, loose or out of adjustment?

Comment

DF90A trim sensor.png #11 & 12 in pict. clamp around tilt tube & do come loose.
              us Alaskans have to watch out for each other
              Last edited by tsturm; 06-27-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Moore View Post
                You have relays in the fuse box inside the motor, pop the cover off and listen for a click when the button (up or down) is pushed and start there. Also verify if it won't tilt down at either the helm or motor switch, if just one then it's a wiring/switch issue. If I remember right the relays are matching so you can swap the up relay for the down relay and see if the trouble reverses as well. The computer handles the request from the helm switch, hopefully it isn't that, horribly expensive.
                '''''''They have not used single trim relays since 2003, they use a single dual acting relay

Comment

Originally posted by tsturm View Post
                  DF90A trim sensor.png #11 & 12 in pict. clamp around tilt tube & do come loose.
                  us Alaskans have to watch out for each other
                  '''''''''The trim limit switch has got nothing to do with trimming the motor down, it is just an adjustable switch to limit the motor height so you don't hit the back of the boat, it is wired in series with the up button.

Comment

yup & if it comes loose it will let you tilt motor all the way up & not let you tilt down. Go try it!

Comment

Hi Man, I have the very same problem... It doesn't trim down!

I tried to decode what your tsturm instructions exactly means but couldn't find it... the image you posted is too small .... Could you enlighten me?

Comment

Don't over think it, if it goes up but not down, and you can't hear the motor run, it is nearly always the switch, does your motor have two switches, one on the control, and one on the motor? if it does, try them both.

Comment

i have two switches, one in the onconsole and one on the motor itself. They behave the same way.
                          Something I noticed before it stopped "going down", is that it went more "up" than usual.

Tinkering with the limit switch we manage to trim it UP even more, never down

Comment

As per service manual (2009 DF90) Motor will not trim/tilt down: Defective PTT switch, defective PTT relay, Open pink lead wire circuit, defective ECM.

Comment

Working...
                            X