Should I buy a DF2.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a DF2.5?

I would welcome views and advice from present owners of the DF2.5 - I need to downsize from a Mercury 5, mainly on the grounds of weight, and the DF2.5 seems to have a lot going for it. However, I have encountered two outlets who say they have stopped selling these due to a high volume of problems. I know there is a 5 year warranty but that has little appeal if I have to spend the cost of the engine again over the 5 years for servicing that I can do myself at a fraction of the cost. What I want is an engine where the warranty is irrelevant as it doesn't need to be invoked.

A secondary concern is use/storage. Use will be on an inflatable tender, infrequently, the rest of it's life will be spent horizontal under a bench seat in the cockpit - any issues to be aware of here? (I know in an ideal world a 2-stroke would be a better bet for these circumstances- but being frowned upon plus the faf of having to deal with mixed fuel kind of rules that option out)

If, on balance, I am guided away from the DF2.5 what alternatives would anyone recommend?

Thanks for your time, Neil.
Working...
X