16” Diameter Prop on DF150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16” Diameter Prop on DF150?

I may have made a mistake... but dont know about this motor well enough to decide.

I have a 20’ center console, 18 degree, 3500 pounds or so loaded. I just bought a 20p WaterGrip Suzuki prop and failed to realize it’s a 16” diameter.

Does this seem like a reasonable configuration?

Any help is appreciated.

IMO the 16” diameter Suzuki prop is intended for use on the DF250/300 HP engines. I think its too big diameter for the 150.

A friend of mine with a similar size boat to yours fitted a used Suzuki DF175 last year that came fitted with a 16” prop. He recetly tested a 15”” dia Suzuki prop and found that it was far better suited, so has bought one for his boat. He reported better cruise speed and a 20% improvement in fuel economy.

Comment

Nope, it is the correct size. The prop on my DF150 is 16x18½. It is perfect. This series 4 cylinder, available in 150, 175 or now 200HP is a torquey motor, fully capable of turning the 16" prop. I average 5-5.5mpg at 24 mph economy cruise. about 4.8mpg at normal 28mph cruise.
      Last edited by Harper; 07-16-2018, 08:59 AM.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Harper, what boat/deadrise/weight/mounting position? Also, top RPM?

I hate to think I'm going to put this prop on and realize I should have got the 18p. Apparently, these things aint cheap.

Comment

Boat is a Triumph 195CC w/T-top, weighs about 3500lbs as equipped with 60 gal fuel, motor is on a hydraulic jackplate. Deadrise 16°. LOA 20', beam 8'2". 14" draft. Max RPM 6000 with two onboard, usually about 38MPH GPS. Gets on plane within 2-3 seconds.

Here's how the wake looks at normal cruise

20161114_144758.jpg
          Last edited by Harper; 07-16-2018, 10:18 AM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks. Those are similar numbers to my Angler 204FX. Now I'm thinking I should have gone 18.5P like you. Decisions.

Comment

Ran the boat yesterday. I barely squeaking out 5600rpm trimmed out running about 41mph. Planes crazy fast.

Not bad numbers, but I feel like I could improve to look for that WOT 6000rpm. I guess the 18.5p would get me dang close?

Comment

Looking that way, amigo. The closer you can get to that 6000 RPM, the better it will be for the motor.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                X