Lower Unit Anodes - DF150 - Stuck tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Anodes - DF150 - Stuck tight

Changing anodes on a new to me motor. All were fairly easy with the exception of the lower unit anodes. They’re corroded and tight in there. Any sneaky trick I should know about?

Best thing I could suggest is to spray generously (and repeatedly) with a penetrating oil such as Kroil, PB Blaster, etc and let it sit for a day or two.. Main concern would be galling the threads in the aluminum lower unit.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Yep... I've been hitting it with PB for the last day or so. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of extraction tool or tip I didn't know about. Thank you for the reply, Harper.

Comment

Might work and might not. Sure hope it comes loose without damage for you. Good luck.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

did you try using one of the bolts that attaches the lower unit to the mid unit on it? Its threaded properly to use as a jackscrew- just don't try to wedge a screwdriver in there to pry the anode cover away from the block.

Comment

Originally posted by LPowers View Post
            did you try using one of the bolts that attaches the lower unit to the mid unit on it? Its threaded properly to use as a jackscrew- just don't try to wedge a screwdriver in there to pry the anode cover away from the block.
            I believe you're referring to the internal engine anodes, not the anodes on either side of the lower unit, right in front of the prop. They have no cover, They are external anodes.....rectangular.
            Last edited by Harper; 07-16-2018, 05:17 PM.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
            X