Lightning struck rebuilt DF150's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning struck rebuilt DF150's

First post and a noob to engines, so please bear with me.
    We're currently looking at a boat that has a couple of 2006 DF150's.
    Lightning fried at about 900 hrs and insurance rebuilt/replaced powerhead electronics in 2015.
    Motors were run for 140 hrs, then the boat sat in a dealer's yard for a year or more.

I'm still waiting on the final oil analysis, but do have some diagnostics and findings that I could use some help interpreting.

Port engine compression
    #1 - 216
    #2 - 206
    #3 - 215
    #4 - 208

Starboard engine compression
    #1 - 195
    #2 - 205
    #3 - 213
    #4 - 221

Service manual states 14 psi max difference.
    What does the 25 psi difference in starboard cylinders mean in layman's terms?

Other items noted were:
    - Battery's had low voltage and wouldn't crank engines enough to start them. Both engines started OK with battery charger attached.
    - Corroded tilt trim units on both engines.
    - Water contamination and metal in port engine gearcase.
    - Flywheels have surface rust and light corrosion was sighted on metal components on both powerheads.
    - Engine cover latches are all stiff and one is broken.
    - Electrical connections on both starter solenoids are discolored and appear to have been possibly overheated at some point.
    - Other engine harness electrical connections checked for condition appeared clean and serviceable.

I really need some help to establish a fair market value for these engines to decide the best path forward.
    After that I can decide if we'll rebuild/use them, sell/trade-in for new, or walk away entirely.
Working...
X