2014 df115 noise after wrapping dock line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 df115 noise after wrapping dock line

So my motor has been running great since purchasing used a few months ago. This weekend, we had an incident where we lost a dock line overboard while turning the boat around and the line got spun around the prop. Motor would start, then shut down when put into gear (I didn’t know I had a wrapped line while doing this)
    Once I realized the problem, I unwrapped the line and went on our way. Line was wrapped tightly 5-6 wraps.
    A few minutes later I noticed a slight tapping noise coming from the motor. I only noticed it at slow speeds (may not have been able to hear at higher speed).

Any suggestions on what may have happened? Where should I start looking for a problem?

The sound appears to be coming from the prop/ lower unit, and the engine seems to run fine.

I am currently changing the lower unit oil and nothing looked out of the ordinary in the used oil

i have a video of I can figure out how to upload it

You may have bent the prop shaft? Spin the prop slowly ad verify it turned true and doesn't wobble.

Comment

You may have damaged bushings, shaft, and/or prop as well. Any wobble in prop, or shaft; any play (side to side) in either should be looked at, by a competent person. If you have a spare prop, you could try swapping, to see if noise is still there.

Good luck. Post back when able to let us know what you find out.

Comment

I do have a spare prop so I will try that and see what happens. When I removed the prop, I noticed the castle but was rather loose. Maybe it came loose and is causing a rattle?

Also, the sound is not consistent at any time. It tends to come and go. It will “knock” once, then again 5 seconds later, than twice quickly 7 seconds later. I’m going to post video on YouTube and post the link

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=6_SOX4peeow

you will hear the noise most clear at about 14-15 seconds

Comment

I would recommend that you disassemble the lower unit and perform a thorough inspection of all parts. You may have a chipped or crack in the tooth of one of the gears. It will save you a lot of bucks if you find the problem before it self destructs and you have to replace the entire lower unit.

Jim

Comment

Clarify something for me. Have you had the prop off since the dock line incident? Did you look at the condition of the propeller stop bushing? It's the plastic part between the prop and the seal that protects the prop shaft seal. Have you turned the prop by hand through a few revolutions to see if you can hear or feel any rough spot during its rotation? Have you run the motor as demonstrated in the video WITHOUT the prop installed?

The prop stop bushing is plastic, as I said before. But it also has a spring clip in it that could cause some noise if the plastic part was damaged. You have to remove the prop to access it, and remove the stop bushing in order to thoroughly inspect it.
              Last edited by Harper; 07-25-2018, 07:55 AM.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Ok so this morning I took off the lower unit for an inspection. I decided to change water pump impeller while I was in there (160 hours and not sure that it’s been done yet). Everything appears to be normal.

I did not get into the prop shaft or bearings (never messed with that before so hesitant to go there alone)

i also put out on my spare prop. Check this video and let me know if you hear the same noise as the first video. I didn’t hear it but maybe it was just selective hearing. Hopefully it was just the prop was a little out of whack and the new prop fixed it

https://youtu.be/zq3Vo59O5Rg

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
                  Clarify something for me. Have you had the prop off since the dock line incident? Did you look at the condition of the propeller stop bushing? It's the plastic part between the prop and the seal that protects the prop shaft seal. Have you turned the prop by hand through a few revolutions to see if you can hear or feel any rough spot during its rotation? Have you run the motor as demonstrated in the video WITHOUT the prop installed?

The prop stop bushing is plastic, as I said before. But it also has a spring clip in it that could cause some noise if the plastic part was damaged. You have to remove the prop to access it, and remove the stop bushing in order to thoroughly inspect it.

I didnt see your your reply before posting mine above. I didn’t see any plastic piece because I have not removed anything other than the prop itself.

Listen to the the two videos I posted and see if you think it’s worth going any further or if the new prop seems to have got rid of the noise. I’ll have the boat out this weekend and will have my ears wide open listening for anything out of the ordinary

Comment

All you have to remove is the prop to see the stop bushing. It slides right off the shaft after the prop is removed. I'm afraid I'm of little help in hearing anything on the video. I'm so damned deaf that I didn't hear anything in the first video.
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                    X