Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki df20 pull start not running

good evening,
    a couple of weeks ago I was running in Biscayne Bay with the motor all morning and when I stopped for lunch I disconnected the fuel hose. when I started again I ran about 15 minutes and later on the motor turned off (the fuel was finished I thought). I connected back the hose but there was no way to restart the motor. when I can back home I drained the fuel filter finding some water on the bottom, tried starting again but no luck. the day later I brought the motor to an authorized dealer hoping for a solution since the motor is a 2017 with only 87 hours on it. the dealer called me back 3 days later telling that the fuel line was full with water, the motor was completely seized and this was not covered by warranty, they also told me that the motor was scrap. I was very confused about the happening since the motor was perfectly moving just 3 days before and I just drained the fuel filter without to find any water on it. anyways after paying a bill of 120 dollars for the diagnosis I brought the motor back home and start working on it. I dismounted the spark plugs, filled the combustion chamber with wd40 and after 2 days I was able to unseize the motor using a ratchet. I flushed all the fuel line with new fuel and I disconnected the injectors making sure that no water was remaining on the fuel line. after that I also replaced the spark plugs.
    at this point I'm sure that clean fuel is arriving to the injectors that are vaporizing it properly, but when I tried to start the motor it won't start. so I checked the spark and it seems to be fine (spark seems to be weak but I don't have terms of comparison on how it was before). tried to start again several times and the motor started a couple of times for no more than 10 seconds and later was turning off again. compression on the chamber is very good, spark is there, fuel line is ok... I don't know what could be the problem at this point. I also tried to put the motor in horizontal position, dismount the air sensor on the air intake and fully open the throttle to try drain any possible remaining wd40 that could have dropped into the intake line but none came out.
    only difference between now and before is that since the first day I used the motor when I was pulling the pull start it was completely stuck the first 2 pulls and getting completely loose on the 3rd one. I thought this was strange but a friend with the same motor told me his was doing the same so I never investigate. now the motor is not doing that anymore, it's just pulling every time free but not starting.
    any advice?

Was the motor used in salt water or fresh?

Comment

the motor was used in salt water but always washed after every use.

Comment

If it was salt water that got into the fuel, there is a high likelihood that the efi fuel pump has been destroyed by corrosion. Happens very quickly.

Even fresh water can cause corrosion, but salt water is guaranteed to.

Comment

I removed the injectors from the motor and test them while cranking it. They spray fine and there seems to be no problem with fuel. Shouldn’t that means that all in the fuel line is ok?
          by the way the water in the fuel there was fresh water and the line had beed flooded less than a week.
          when I disconnected the inlet hose on the high pressure pump just clean water came out of it so I guess corrosion was not working yet because that should make also the water became brownish..

Comment

Hello,
            yesterday I was working again on the motor but no way to make it start. Dismounted again the injectors and the spray good, if you don’t hold them into the manifold with the fingers they get pushed away by the fuel pressure so I would say that on the fuel side i’m Good.
            i dismounted the intake line and the valve is opening and closing properly. Tried spraying quick start spray into it while cranking but no way.
            spark plugs have spark even if it looks weak spark but I have no tools to measure it.
            I don’t have tool for the compression test but holding a finger into the hole of the plug the air pushes it away so I would say it’s good. I also tried adding one ounce of gear oil into the chamber to create a film on the cylinder wall and increase compression for an easier start but no way.
            last I did I put an endoscope in the liner and all looks clean and fine, I put it also into the engine oil refilling plug and I was able to see the springs of the valves completely clean and moving fine.
            at this point I really don’t know what could be.. electrical problem? Weak spark? I even tried to replace the spark plugs. All looks very confusing at this point

Comment

found out that compression is low in both cylinders one is 105 and other is 90. I guess stuck rings. any chance to start it?

Comment

Hello,
                someone has any suggestions?

Comment

Be patient, this is only a small forum.

If members have any suggestions they will reply within a few days.

If there are no replies, and yet you see that there have been a number of views of the thread, then you can assume that no-one has any suggestions to offer.

Comment

Although the difference is not oke (could be pull start) it sounds not bad. Did you check the timing from the spark? It may be sparking but does it spark on time? You need a timing light to check
                    Regards, Martin
                    DF200 2007

Comment

no way to start the motor... but there is still a doubt I have, when the motor was running since the first day I had it the pull start was locked on the first 1 or 2 pulls and was pulling completing free on the third one starting always the motor with no problem. I thought this was strange but a friend with the same motor told me that his is doing exactly the same.
                      now the motor is not doing that anymore, is somebody able to explain me why?

Comment

Working...
                      X