DF250 2008 NEMA INTERFACE TO sIMRAD nss9 evo2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF250 2008 NEMA INTERFACE TO sIMRAD nss9 evo2

Hi, guys I just joined the forum, been lurking reading stuff time to time.

I have an issue that is minor in nature but I can not solve.

Ok the issue

I have a 2008 DF250 engine linked to my Simrad NSS9 evo 2 by NEMA. I do not have smart gauges.

I have most data transferring to my interface. I have the latest software on the Simrad unit but it seems as though I have to update my engine software. I am unable to select 2008 or newer option on my unit. I have read that 2009 update enabled temperature to be read.

So I am hoping I can update the Suzuki software by downloading it to a SD card and using my Simrad file management to do the update.

I have seen how it can be done using the Lowrance machines. Hoping same is possible.

To summarize,
    1. Can I update in this manner
    2 Where can I download the software
    3. Does anyone have an idiots guide to follow. I suspect its fairly straight forward install SD card go to settings, select card and file and upload.

Or do I have to go to a dealer.

thank-you for any assistance

Chris Kennedy

Hi Chris

The Suzuki engine software you are referring to is actually the software installed on the engine interface cable.

It is critical that the interface software is matched to the engine year. So this is one time when updating to the latest version is a very bad idea.

And as far as I know, all interface versions transmit engine temp to the network, so it should be able to be displayed on your Simrad.

So before doing anything, we need to know the current sw version installed in your interface. This can be found easily on your Simrad.

1. turn the engine key to on, where it beeps.
    2. Turn the Simrad on.
    3. In the Simrad menu, open the Network menu/device list and the Suzuki will be listed. Select it and open. It will pop up a page with details including the Software version.

Let me know what version your interface is running. If it is V 2.3 or later, you will have all data including temp available.

If it is already running that version or later, go to the data sources screen in the network menu, and select the option to auto-select data sources. This will fix any data source issues and if engine temp has been missing, this will fix it and bring it up.

If it comes to changing the interface software, yes the Simrad can do it and I can point you to where to get it from and how to do it. But lets cross that bridge when and if we come to it.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-26-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks Ill check it out after work and get back to you.

Thanks for the reply

Chris Kennedy

Comment

I see your profile states Cleveland Australia. I am in Destin Florida but from Perth Australia.

Comment

Ok my sandgroper friend!

We will sort this temp issue out for you. Even if you find it is running an older version than 2.3, try running the auto-select for data sources, it will likely sort the issue.

Comment

Suzuki interface device information
            software vers 3.5.0-MZ-1620C-B1.0
            model 1.0.0
            STATUS OK

It still will not let me select correct engine year I select 2008 and it asks if I want to save I nominate yes. It appears to save but still displays 2007 or older.

I did not run the engine to see if the temp is being understood by Simrad. On the data page it lists temp as an output and has 419F indicated.

I guess Ill run it tonight and see if I get temp.

I am not sure that the fuel data from the engine is right, I get total used and what remains but not flow to determine best cruising speed. Maybe settings.

As I said Ill run it up in the driveway tonight and see.

Sandgroper, I have not heard that term for a long time.

Thanks Chris

Comment

Hi Chris

OK, I now see what the problem is.

Regrettably, you have the wrong interface cable software. Did you buy/install the interface cable yourself or was it someone else? Can you see the black node on the cable to see what version is printed there? (If the cable was purchased new in the last 3-4 years then it is almost certain to be running .swup software. The new versions may also have a tag on them with part numbers ending in -350 or -290.

(If you want to better understand this whole Suzuki networking stuff, see the sticky thread towards the top of this forum where I have supplied a lot of info and attached a comprehensive guide that I wrote a while ago)

Anyway, that interface software version showing on your Simrad shows version 3.5.0. Well, that version is for 2013 and newer engines only. It wont work properly with your 2008 engine, data will be wrong, missing or unstable. As you have discovered.

A few years ago Suzuki released 2 x new interface cables with a different software design to the earlier models. The new cables run software with the file extension “.swup” whereas the original cables, used for engines up to about 2008, were “.luf” file extensions. The new cables are also different in physical design to the old ones. The two new model cables are V 3.5.0 for 2013 and newer engines, and V2.9.0 for engines from about 2008 to 2012. The new cables can only have .swup software loaded into them, and the old cables can only use .luf software versions.

There is a chance that your engine will match OK (and thus get proper data) if you change to software V 2.9.0.

Its not a 100% guarantee but a fair chance.

But quite a few people have found that 2008 and earlier engines need to use the old version cables running an earlier version .luf software. I successfully run V2.5.0 software on the original .luf cable on my DF115 (2010 year).

Here is a link to a Lowrance page that shows you the details about the new and old cables. It also shows the engine serial numbers that are supposed to work with the different versions. So check yours. You can download the V2.9.0 software from there. (Note - Lowrance makes the Suzuki interface cables)

https://ww2.lowrance.com/Suzuki

So, first you need to determine which version cable you have - the old or new. Chances are its the new one, unless someone updated an old one. See the info in the link as it shows what they look like and how to tell them apart.

If its the new cable, steps to change software are pretty easy. First make sure your boats start battery is fully charged or on a charger.

1. Download the .swup software V 2.9.0 to a suitable micro SD card to suit your Simrad. Card must be no larger capacity that 32 GB.

2. Put card into your Simrad, turn the engine key on to where it beeps, turn the network on if its on a separate switch, and turn the Simrad on. (Engine doesnt need to be running).

3. In Simrad files menu, find the SD card, open it and find the update file. Highlight it and select upload. Progress bar will show it being installed.

4. When it is finished, exit out and go back into the network menu, device list and check that the software version on the Suzuki device has changed to V 2.9.0. This step simply is to ensure that the update has uploaded as expected.

While you are there, ypu will find that you wont be able to change the engine year or horsepower, because it is automatically detected by the interface software and is set at the family level. So, ignore those year and hp settings. Just make sure the boat setup is set as 1 engine/1 tank etc and that fuel tank capacity is set correctly.

Last step - turn everything that is connected to the network on. Go into Simrad network menu/device list/data sources and run the autu-select for data sources, it will ask you if you really want to, select yes and do it.

Then switch the Simrad to the info page where engine dashboard is shown, and see what data is active (eg not greyed out). Should all be there.

Run the engine on muffs and the big test is then to look at fuel flow. If the fuel flow at idle speed (when warmed up) looks sensible, then you should be all good. The fuel flow being correct is the sign that the interface version you have is talking OK to the engine.

If it is showing a rediculous fuel flow rate, then we have a bigger problem because you will need to find a old version cable running .luf software, and they are getting very hard to find. International Marine Suzuki currently has a few for sale, expensive but they are the only ones that are guaranteed to work properly with older engines.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers from the banana benders!

Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-27-2018, 09:29 PM.

Comment

*** thanks I have a project for the morning then I’ll get it done and see what happens. Thanks heaps

chris

Comment

A massive thank you looks like everything is right. Going to throw the boat in now and see how it all goes

chris

Comment

One clarification, still trying to understand fuel management. It seems that you have to hit start on the trip mananement each time you use the boat. I searching for a better understanding of how the Simrad is to be used for fuel. I don't think anything is wrong I just think I need to get my head around it.

chris

Comment

Hi Chris

At the start of each trip, the Simrad askes you if you want to start a new one. This doesnt have anything much to do with the Suzuki system, it is primarily to do with the very neat Simrad TripIntel feature!

After you have done a few trips, look in the Simrad Pages menu, and you will see TripIntel in the scroll down menu on the left side.

Open the TripIntel page and you will see that the Simrad has recorded many details of each trip you have done, including the date, time, duration, fuel used, speed, average fuel economy, and it also shows a map with the trip trail recorded. It also gives you overall averages for fuel economy and so on.

If you select “yes” when it asks you if you want to start a new trip, it also changes the trail colour for that trip to a new colour.

So you will see that the TripIntel system also records trip fuel and total fuel used.

Obviously it uses fuel data from the Suzuki for this info.

It is a very neat Simrad feature!

So when you refuel, you still use the Fuel menu in the Simrad to do the process.

I have attached a dropbox link to a photo of the TripIntel trip details of a trip I did yesterday.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr4jvqclc9..._2197.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-01-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks I think I now just need to get used to it, I believe it is all working correctly.

Is it correct to assume as I modified the software for the interface cable it reset data to zero. I did not start a trip therefore data not logged. I assume as soon as I start a trip it will log and hold the history.

Secondly is a trip each time you start a new trip. What I mean is that our typical day out we will run around we will stop. engine off for hours restart this may happen a few times during the day. Do I simply leave the Simrad on for the day and when I turn it off that is the end of the trip. Next time I use start a new trip.

Or do I have to start a new trip each and every time I start the engine.

My main concern is accurate aggregate fuel consumption.

Hope that makes sence

Thanks again

Comment

Answers add3 below.

Originally posted by chillie View Post
                          Thanks I think I now just need to get used to it, I believe it is all working correctly.

Is it correct to assume as I modified the software for the interface cable it reset data to zero. I did not start a trip therefore data not logged. I assume as soon as I start a trip it will log and hold the history.

Correct!

Secondly is a trip each time you start a new trip. What I mean is that our typical day out we will run around we will stop. engine off for hours restart this may happen a few times during the day. Do I simply leave the Simrad on for the day and when I turn it off that is the end of the trip. Next time I use start a new trip.

Or do I have to start a new trip each and every time I start the engine.

My main concern is accurate aggregate fuel consumption.

In my experience, it only starts one trip eac( day. I do typical days similar to you, and leave the Simrad on all day. I have never had it ask me if I want to start a new trip other than when the boat is first launched. If it did, you can always say “no” and it continues the previous trip.

Hope that makes sence

Thanks again

Comment

Well after a lot of boating across the weekend I feel that the unit is working 100% as intended. Thanks for all your support.

Chris Kenendy

Comment

You have indeed get used to the system. My new Go7XRS still have some secrets but most of the setting I'm familiar with. Play with it as much as possible to know yours.
                              Regards, Martin
                              DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X