DF 150 Propeller shaft stopper removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 150 Propeller shaft stopper removal

The post below is from a 2011 post and I'm hoping I can get specifics on how to remove the stopper. Tech manual gives no info on how to remove.

Also, I'm concerned that the braid line may have damaged the seal (that's why I want to pull the stopper to see seal condition). I have looked at the lower unit oil and it's not milky but did notice more very fine metal flakes than usual.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Tom
    stopper mine2.jpgstopper mine.jpgstopper tech manual.jpg

There's a part on the propeller shaft, a machined metal sleeve, that fits over the propshaft seal protector. According to the factory service manual, it is called a "stopper", and it appears that this part slides off the shaft after removal of the prop. Below it is a clip and seal protector. I've been trying to get this thing off, but am having no luck. The clip appears to have come loose while I was removing some fishing line that was wrapped around the shaft. Any ideas on the removal of this "stopper"?

The stopper is behind that steel spacer in your photo. The steel can be pretty tight, but it will come off. Tap the spacer gently going all around it. It's not pressed on, just tends to be tight on a tapered portion of the shaft. Once the spacer is off, the stopper comes right off. Now, this is all from memory, as I've not had to remove it myself for quite some time. And I'm not going to be anywhere near my boat for another week and a half, so I hope I've remembered correctly.

Edit......well, now I've read the old thread that you brought up...one of my first posts....Haha....so maybe the big steel spacer is the stopper. Anyway tapping it with a small tack hammer is how I got it off. As I said, it's not pressed on. It will come loose with some coaxing. Then you can just slip the seal protector off.
    Last edited by Harper; 08-02-2018, 04:59 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks so much for the response. So should I try to pry it off (under area shown by arrow stopper mine2 AB.jpg B) or just tap on the side to loosen by vibration? Also, should the smaller piece (arrow A) be taken off first?

Comment

Honestly Tom, I don't remember, and wouldn't want to steer you wrong. But I wouldn't recommend that you do much prying at "B". That rear piece on the gear housing is aluminum alloy, and I wouldn't be putting much force on it. If you pry there, just don't apply too much force. And I don't really recall a separate smaller piece that you indicate at "A". Are you sure that's a separate piece?
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks Mike, understood.

Not sure at all it's a separate piece. Will give it a shot tomorrow and let you know.

Comment

By the way, Tom, the seal protector itself is plastic, with a steel spring clip. When I had to do that because of fishing line, it did chew up the protector a bit. The seal was fine, however. So you might want to get yourself a new seal protector in anticipation of replacing the one there. It looks like the wire clip has been pulled out in your pictures.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

IMG_7173.jpgIMG_7167.jpgIMG_7165.jpgIMG_7169.jpgIMG_7175.jpg Hi Mike

Gave it a few pushes and she popped right off. A lot of line under it...the outer seal was shredded. Looks like the inner seal is ok. No oil residue (see pics).

I'm surprised that the stopper fits loosely on the shaft....meaning the shaft spins and it doesn't. I'm gonna use heavy marine grease on it.

I'll definitely replace the outside seal...the inner seal looks good...is it "difficult" to replace it?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I haven't looked at the service manual for that lately, but I think you have to remove the prop shaft bearing housing. There are two seals there, in tandem, behind the seal protector, (I assume that's the part that's needing replacement, the one with the spring clip) so you'd probably have to replace both. Since the whole transmission and ring gear ass'y might have to come out with it, it might also require prior removal of the input shaft and pinion gear. Definitely not an easy job for a shadetree mechanic.
                Last edited by Harper; 08-04-2018, 09:24 AM.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Hi Mike-

You mentioned earlier that you thought the wire clip (#32 in diagram) was pulled out. Looking at these pics, I believe it is still there and that I would need to remove it to put on the oil seal protector (#31 in diagram) m1 ring.jpgm1 ring2.jpgm1 diag.jpgm1 clip.jpg . Does that make sense?

Thanks

Comment

Yes, I noticed in your follow up pictures that it was in place. The first photos showed something sticking out from behind the stopper. What I see there was probably a piece of the fishing line. And you're correct, it fits in a groove to hold the protector in place. I'm just too old to remember all this stuff
                    Last edited by Harper; 08-07-2018, 09:01 AM.
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

There is a hacky way to remove just one seal without removing the complete prop shaft. You have to pry it out gently. Look for yourself if you want to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c14ixpVXrZ0
                      Regards, Martin
                      DF200 2007

Comment

Mike and Martin

Thanks much for the responses and great info. Ordered the parts today...will let you know how it goes.

Tom

Comment

Finally get to go home tonight for good. So I'll be near the boat and the service manual if you run into any snags. Time to get back on the water!!
                          Mike
                          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                          X