Problem with tilt/trim on both motors 2009 DF300 Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with tilt/trim on both motors 2009 DF300 Need help

Tried to run the boat last night. Motors were trimmed all the way up. Turned on battery power to both motors. Port motor trim pump started to run and I hadn't touched anything but the battery switch. When we touched the trim button on the motor the pump would stop but the motor would not move. Same with the buttons on the throttle and dash. Starboard motor would go down about an inch and then back up on its own. Again this happened whether we used the buttons on the motor or those at the helm. Problem seems to be connected. Any ideas or help would be greatly. Getting service is difficult where we are.

Often the switches on the motor go bad. You can disconnect them easily and check if it works again from the throttle. It is possible to pry them open and clean and dry them.

Post back when able.
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

Thanks, we did that. Also disconnected the switch on the throttle and the key pad. The problem persists. Even with all the switches disconnected the trim pump still runs when the power is turned on. The problem with the starboard motor continues as well. Thinking it might be the port relay. totally baffled by the starboard issue.

Comment

Jonwobbound I feel your pain! I have a 2016 DF115 and when the engine is warmed up the motor trims up all the way up on its own when key is on. Key off - tilt/trim on helm and on engine work perfect every time. Start the engine and motor trims all the way up and keeps wining until I turn engine off again. I called the dealer and he thinks rodents have chewed on wiring harness. He asked if we see beavers or muskrats on our lake. We do but I don’t think that is the problem maybe mice when it is stored over the winter on land. He also said it could be the computer. I am going to have a good look at it this weekend. I did unplug wiring harness to the tilt/trim motor so I can still drive the pontoon. I never owned a Suzuki outboard before but I have had other brands of outboards and had tilt/trim relay problems but nothing like this!
        I will let you know what I find out.

Comment

These problems are often to do with the engine wiring and particularly the harness installation. There is no “fundamental” problem with the trim arrangements on these engines, the setup is common to most outboards. A wet or faulty relay is sometimes involved.

Suggest that you check the full length of the harness from the binnacle to the engine. There are likely to be joiners along that harness, and if they have been damaged thru water intrustion or varmints chewin’ ‘em, then you will get these kinds of issues.

Also, look under the cowl to check wiring connectors - the trim connector to the harness can be difficult to find, its a 2 pin connector. On many motors, it can be found near the cowl latch at the front - so look there for it, and make sure it hasnt been caught in the latch, or gotten wet/corroded.

Comment

Thanks I will look there. We pulled the boat today and manually lowered the motors. Both went right back up as soon as the battery switch was turned on to each motor. The port trim pump continues to run and only shuts off momentarily when the switch is pushed.

Comment

Lower the motors manually then disconnect the trim relays and hook the batteries back up. Grab a test light and probe the trim plugs and see what has power on what wire, on pink or light blue, from what you are saying there must be power on the light blue wires to trim both motors up till they hit the limit switch. Your 2009 engine has controls from the bcm and even if the trim switches were disconnected it can still send battery voltage down either wire, there must be an interface module some where, the pcm sends battery voltage to the trim relay up and down function, the trim button send information to the bcm.

Comment

I should of added there must be something in you book about the trim function set up on your motors, also check at each trim switch that there is battery voltage on the red and white wire at each switch.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I will work on it. Hoping to get a Suzuki mechanic to look at the boat this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X