Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new suzuki DF30at---no water telltale

Hi everyone,

bought a brand new suzuki DF30AT 4 stroke. this morning made the initial engine start after installing it.
    started right up, but no water peeing out.
    was using muffs...plenty of water coming out around the muffs.ran for about 10 seconds.

i then placed the engine in a 30 gallon trash can and filled it to about 4" about the cavitation plate...again ran it it about 10 seconds....still
    no water.

pulled off the side cover to make sure the hose was not kinked...it was ok.

am i missing something?
    this is a brand new motor

HELP!!!

thanks all.

I think you didn’t run it long enough in the bin of water. It can take a while to prime up. Dont be too concrened you will get a warning buzzer if it starts to get too hot.

Make sure the water is even deeper in the can. Say 6” above the cav plate.

Or, use the small round muffs, they are the only ones that work reliably. Make sure there is strong pressure on the hose.

Comment

I had a similar experience with my DF25A when I first installed it. But I don’t think I had the water 4” above the cab plate as you say. I had filled the barrel to just cover the water intake grates. I eventually let my motor idle for about 30 secs with no water coming out. Got a taller barrel and filled it higher, and it started peeing. Two years later my motor started overheating at idle, and I had to replace the impeller. When I replaced it, I saw that the impeller housing sits on top of the joint line where the foot separates from the motor, and the housing is about 1” tall. I think the water must cover the impeller housing to “prime the pump” and start peeing. BTW I am convinced (without real evidence) that the 30 seconds of initial dry running of my motor caused my premature impeller failure. So I would advise that you keep the testing down to your 10-ish second level, and focus on raising the water level or pressure as Moonlighter describes.

Comment

i'm really concerned because the manual says that engine damage can occur in as little as 10 sec if no water comes out. i know that the factory ran this motor before shipped as it started instantly with no fuel line connected when i first tried to start it immediately after hanging it.
        i bought a 20hp suzuki two years ago and it peed immediately

Comment

GOOD NEWS!!!
          filled the can with water 4" above the water pump housing..peed immediately.
          WHEW!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X