X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying New Suzuki 30HP

I currently have a 2009 20hp Yamaha, and looking to upgrade to new motor
    I like the new Suzuki 30hp DF30ATHLW2 20", electric start, power tilt/trim

Any current owners out there that would recommend this engine? Any issues with it.
    It would be used on a Lund Fury 1600 in the back bay in NJ for fishing and crabbing

I have a DF25ARS, which is essentially the same engine in a short-shaft, and I've been pleased with it. I chose it 3 1/2 years ago because at the time it was the lightest engine available. When I bought my engine, Suzuki was offering it with or without PTT. Seems that after the first year they quit offering the non-PTT option with Remote Steer. I did "mod" my engine with the air intake plate from the DF30A engine. There's been some speculation in other threads on this site that this may be the only difference between the 25HP and 30HP versions of the engine. When I did the mod, I felt like there was a slight increase in "confidence" from the motor, but little measurable increase e.g. in speed. Honestly, if I were subjected to a blind test between my motor with/without the 30 HP air intake plate, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. About 6 weeks ago I encountered my first significant issue with my motor, it was going into "limp" mode and someone speculated it might be caused by knocking, from running too lean. So I re-installed the original air restrictor.

Whatever engine you end up with, I concur with Moonlighter's recommendation on this forum that you add a fuel/water separating filter (e.g. Racor) between the fuel supply and the engine. I believe any little problems I've seen with my engine can probably be attributed to water in the fuel.

Comment

I have a 2017 DF30AHTL bought new at the end of 2017 . Put it on my16 foot fiberglass boat in spring of 2018 and it has vibrated terribly at idle since new. When I increase engine speed from idle (850 rpm) to about 1000 rpm it smooths right out . This vibration is there at idle in neutral or in gear .If I could cure the rough idle issue I do like this motor but I have had it to two dealers and both took a quick look at it and said they see nothing wrong . The first dealer dealer couldn't find a good thing to say about suzuki and how terrible they are to get paid for any warranty work ,and the second one said he increased the idle a bit and that is all he could do, but it still shakes like crazy. When I have a chance I will try to post a video of how much the tiller handle shakes as well as everything in the boat including my GPS. I would like to think this is an isolated case but have nothing to compare it to .I am in Canada and don't have a large selection of dealers to choose from. Getting very frustrated and going to try contacting suzuki directly . Just curious to see if anyone else has a similar complaint.

Comment

Hi micvan i bought a new 30 at the beginning of 2017 its a 2016, so far hasn't missed a beat, great on fuel i run mid to hi grade
        and other than the normal vibration for a 3 cylinder, i troll all over the place seems pretty smooth its got about 30 hrs on it now. i have a 101/4x 10 pitch prop on a 16' aluminum princecraft runs about 27mph on gps . was wondering if yours smokes a bit after sitting for 3 or 4 weeks on initial start after that its fine

Comment

Yes it does smoke a bit on start up if it sits , usually my boat never sits more than a week but this summer I have lost a lot of time waiting on two dealers to try and sort out this rough idle issue . I added a link to a video of my motor running if anyone has any feedback I would appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by micvan View Post
            Yes it does smoke a bit on start up if it sits , usually my boat never sits more than a week but this summer I have lost a lot of time waiting on two dealers to try and sort out this rough idle issue . I added a link to a video of my motor running if anyone has any feedback I would appreciate it
            Did the Suzuki dealer who looked at it, connect it up to the Suzuki diagnostic computer to check it out? Thats the first thing they should have done.

Comment

Working...
            X