DF15 wrong carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF15 wrong carb?

I have a 2001 DF15 with low hours and I had to replace the carb as the ethanol finally did the old carb in. Now the motor starts right up, idles great, and runs smoothly at WOT, but WOT is only 4200 RPM. I'm thinking the dealer sold me a DF9.9 carb. Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference? Or, does anyone have any other suggestion why my motor is so underpowered.
    It's only pushing a 16' Carolina Skiff and it has a 9.25 x 10 prop.

Run the part number through the parts section in this website. It will confirm if it is thet correct part for your engine.

Comment

Hmmm. Where willI find the part number?

Comment

Off your invoice from the dealer?

Comment

I'll dig it out but my concern is that the dealer gave me the wrong carb. How can I verify that the right carb was supplied to me?

Comment

Where is the old carburetor?

Comment

Well I didn;t find the invoice but I have the old carb and the box the new one came in. According to the box the part number is 13200-93E50 which is supposed to be the carb for my motor (DF15ESK1). I looked all over the old carb and don't see a part number anywhere. So I'm still hoping someone can tell be how to identify the difference between a DF9.9 and a DF15 carb.

But if I have the right carb, what else might I look for that could be causing the motor to run without misfiring and yet be power starved (or rev. limited)?

Thanx for all your help

Comment

What was you RPM with the old carburetor?

Jim

Comment

This boat didn't have a tach before now, but I have a finely tuned ear with 55 years of experience with small outboards. It was considerably faster before, both the revs and the boat.

When I say before I mean when I had the opportunity to ride several times with the previous owner, and much may have changed. I got this boat from another fellow, a friend, and I had to change the carb just to get it running. The previous owner also went through several props. This thing would tear out the rubber bushings, perhaps every 2 years. Unfortunately, all the old props are gone and it's possible that the current prop was not the same pitch as the original. But it's obviously not my only problem as I'll not gain 1000 RPM WOT with a prop change. I gained about 120 RPM by tilting the motor back and lifting the bow. I've ordered an 8 pitch prop to replace the 10 but I've been told to expect only about 200 RPM improvement. I'm going to try bypassing the 10-micron fuel filter but I suspect if it were fuel starved it would break up at WOT. I don't know what else to try.

I'd buy another carb but they are so expensive. The carb is similar to that on my 12 HP lawnmower and a new carb for that cost me $50. Suzuki wants $325.

Comment

It could be that the new carbureted is not jetted properly for your altitude. Might check what high seed jet is correct for your application.

Jim

Comment

That's good input, Jim. Not sure where I could find that info and I was hoping to avoid taking the new carb apart but you just pointed out it 's possible the new carb could have a wrong or misdrilled jet so it's worth the effort to compare jets, etc between the old and new carb. BTW, I'm using the boat on the Atlantic so I'm at sea level.

Thanx

Jeff

Comment

I'm assuming that your carburetor is a fixed jet, not an adjustable one.

Jim

Comment

Attached is link for the Service Manual for your motor. I would make sure that the throttle linkage in provide full travel of the carburetor butterfly.

https://www.maritimepropulsion.com/files/pdf/1001408
                          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JMauly View Post
                            That's good input, Jim. Not sure where I could find that info and I was hoping to avoid taking the new carb apart but you just pointed out it 's possible the new carb could have a wrong or misdrilled jet so it's worth the effort to compare jets, etc between the old and new carb. BTW, I'm using the boat on the Atlantic so I'm at sea level.

Thanx

Jeff
                            You would assume that the carb would be “plug and play”. I like Jim’s idea, check the carburetors jet settings vs with the manual. You could also compare the old vs the service manual.

Comment

Originally posted by JMauly View Post
                              Well I didn;t find the invoice but I have the old carb and the box the new one came in. According to the box the part number is 13200-93E50 which is supposed to be the carb for my motor (DF15ESK1). I looked all over the old carb and don't see a part number anywhere. So I'm still hoping someone can tell be how to identify the difference between a DF9.9 and a DF15
                              when you find the part off the parts page, if I am remembering correctly, you then click on the part number and it will take you to a page that shows all the engines that part number is compatable with

prop size ?? this will effect rpm

Art

Comment

Working...
                              X