Thermostat Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Replacement

I have a 2018 200hp with 180 hours on it. My question is how often are people changing the Thermostat?

Never, unless there's a demonstrated need to do so. If I find that I have a problem with it the next time out, it'll be over 9 years.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I have twin DF 140's on my boat and one day I notices that the tell-tail stream one engine wasn't as strong as the other.

Found the cause was that the thermostat was stuck open, I had no other symptoms and without a temperature gauge I had no way to know if the engine was running cooler than normal. This occurred at seven years of service years and about 350 hr. The other engine has now been in service for ten years and 510 hr. and still working fine.

Jim

Comment

My dealer says to changed them every 200 hours or once a year.

Comment

That seem excessive based on my experience. The service manual doesn't include the thermostat in the recommended maintenance schedule. My thought are it depends on the condition on how you use you boat. In my case I mainly run in fresh want and when in saltwater I usual run 20 miles returning to my home port.

I inspect my internal zincs annually and at that time I remove the thermostat for inspection, I have never found any signs of salt deposits and I check the operations in pan of hot water and make sure it is operating at the designed temperature.
          Jim
          Last edited by jHydroman; 08-26-2018, 12:53 AM. Reason: grammar correction

Comment

I would look at your bill and see what else the dealer thinks needs to be replaced...
            should they be pulled out and looked at periodically yes but just replacing them because they have 200 hours don’t think so
            How often do you replace the thermostat on your car ??

Comment

Working...
            X