2006 DF175 won’t start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 DF175 won’t start

I ran the boat 4 weeks ago and it ran fine, I went to start it today and no joy. I checked the fuel filter on the motor and it had water in it and dirt. I drained it and the high pressure pump. I then tried to start it and nothing. I also took the bottom screw out of the fuel rail and a little bit of sediment came out.... HELP

Sounds like it's going to require a thorough cleaning of the fuel system, including the tank. If it's as bad as I surmise from your description, you'll have to remove the rail, all the lines, filters, and the VST and clean them all up. Tank and injectors may require professional services.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Could it be that bad from just 3 weeks, or could it also be something else stopping it from starting. I have taken it out about 6 times this summer. I feel like it may not be getting spark too. How do I check for fire?

Comment

Some kind of crud in the bottom of the tank could have broken loose and fouled the system since your last shutdown. Hopefully it's not that bad. Is the boat and tank at least 12 years old like the motor? Been using ethanol gas all along? How old is the gas? If you have water in the motor's fuel filter, you are into phase separation in your gas. In which case, you best drain the tank completely and at least put in fresh fuel. Your motor won't run when the ethanol has absorbed more water than it can hold.
        Last edited by Harper; 08-26-2018, 04:43 PM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

What about the water separating fuel filter in the fuel line between the tank and the engine? It must also have been full of water and crud if the engine filters etc were contaminated?? I do hope you had one fitted??

One bad load of fuel is all it takes to cause real problems. Water in a load of fuel almost always brings contaminants and dirt with it. As Mike said, you need to thoroughly clean the fuel system from start to finish.

The water may or may not have been related to ethanol fuel, but if you have used ethanol fuel, then phase separation is definitely an issue. If youve never used ethanol fuel, then you should try to figure out if you just got a contaminated load of fuel from the gas station, or if the water is getting into the tank somehow. Eg a bad seal on the fuel cap, or wayer sitting on top of the tank and seeping in where the takeoff fittings are located.

Comment

I do have a water separator fitted in line. I will take it off today and see what it looks like.

In a side note, does anyone know how to check for spark??? I want to rule out that while cleaning the fuel system.

Comment

Working...
            X