How do you flush your outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you flush your outboard

I have a Suzuki 2.5 2017 and have owned many other outboards from a 40hp to 2hp. For EVER, I have used a large barrel to flush/winterize my motors WITHOUT incident. Today, I was told by my local Suzuki dealer that running an outboard motor in a barrel will cause the water pump to fail. This is the first time I have EVER heard this. For the hell of it, I went to YouTube to see what others are doing. Almost everyone has their outboard running in a barrel without any issues AND there are ZERO comments stating that its wrong to do this. If there are any dealers/outboard mechanics out there, can you clear this up? I would like to properly inform this person OR be properly informed of the correct procedure. Below is a video of what I usually do, This is not me but a similar barrel and setup.

How could running it in a barrel possibly cause a water pump to fail??

Its very little different to running it in the ocean or river!! The only things to be aware of are:

1. prolonged running that allows the water in the barrel to get too warm will eventually lead to overheating.

2. If the telltale is shooting water onto the ground rather than back into the barrel, the water level will eventually drop too low for the pump to pick it up, and that is the only possible way that I can think of that you could damage a impeller.

So in both cases, keep a hose running in the barrel to keep it topped up and circulating cool water.

Are you sure that the dealer was saying that.....???? Unless it was for reason 2 as above, I think any such claim is BS. At the very least I would ask them to fully explain their rationale for the claim!!
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-28-2018, 03:05 AM.

Comment

HERE is the rest of this unbelievable story. I purchased a BRAND NEW DF2.5 from this "official Suzuki dealer" and was told there is a break in period. I researched this and found it to be true. For the record, my last motor did NOT Require a break in period but thats a story for another day. This dealer tells me during the PDI, he ran the motor for 2 hrs on idle and it would require an additional run on idle before being used at medium speed. I break out the barrel, fill er up and away I go. For 2 hours, the motor ran and ran good. Nice stream of water, water never got warm or even close to warm. I was actually cleaning my garage at the same time so I had full view of the motor. Once the motor ran out of gas (only had 1/4 tank so I wanted to drain it and use my own gas) I filled it up and started it again. Again for 5 minutes the thing ran like a top THEN I noticed the stream of water slowing down. I went over to the barrel (which is running clean tap water) just to see of something got in the barrel and is plugging the intake ports. NOTHING, so I started it up again and the motor started to run badly. I immediately stopped the motor and called the dealer. "Dude, this motor is screwed" I tell him. I repeat my story and he proceeds to tell me that I can't run any outboard motor in a barrel! I immediately LOL and told him he was full of it and explained my history with motors. He told me I was lucky. This is how he explained it, which makes no sense. Apparently while the motor is running, it requires some pressure to allow the water to enter the ports (BS). So, I let him ramble and told him directly that we agreed to disagree. He takes the motor back to his shop, which has less them 5 hrs of run time on it, NONE on an actual boat,. I get a call last night stating that the motor is shot and it was all my fault! I LOST MY MIND! I told him to figure it out because I was going to call Suzuki directly and have this issue resolved. He then tells me that he wants me to be happy so he is lending me another df2.5 while he puts mine through a warranty process. I think this POS is a joke personally but again, new engine maybe, JUST MAYBE there is some truth to this. PLEASE HELP!

Comment

In my fifty+ years with outboards, and owning my own dealership, with factory repair shop, i will say that is BS. Lol, yes I'm laughing too Daddy!
        When he pulls that on you again, politely inform him that is WRONG! A simple fact is, the moment a motor is put into reverse it will create a negative pressure at the back-side of the prop for every motor, this is why some manufacturers installed a secondary pickup screen on the opposite side of the prop (the negative pressure was too strong, pulling water from the pump, and caused some overheating problems), also called a "sub-water pickup" to help the water pump in reverse, and at WOT (requiring more water to cool some motors). Once the motors water pump is submerged, it will pull water through those screens quite well, especially in neutral (as in, idling at a dock). In forward gear there is positive pressure helping the pump, but the pressure increases with higher rpms, as at WOT.

Comment

My owners manual states, “Warm up the engine for about 5 minutes.” No water pressure in that situation, using his logic we shouldn’t idle the engine while in the water. So long as you have enough water to completely submerge the water pump it should perform as designed.

Comment

I also somewhat think, you may have had a oil problem, if the motor is toast now?

Also, those water pump impellers are made of rubber materials, and pressed tightly against a stainless housing. The quickest way to destroy one is starting it DRY! It is only water lubricated! Which means it has to be wet, before turning the motor over to start.

Good luck.

Comment

So, there is a solution to this issue. After showing the dealer that he was wrong with many emails and videos, he decided to offer me a full refund. It took a couple hours of back and forth texting and emails but I am happy knowing I wont be the owner of a brand new, rebuilt Suzuki df2.5. After going through what I just did, I was put off by this product. I am now the proud owner of a 2-18 HONDA 2.3 4 stroke motor. Air cooled and centrifugal clutch. the best part is I don't need a barrel to service the motor. Thoughts on the Honda?

Comment

125 gallon Poly watering trough works like a charm. Flushed my outboards this way for the last 20 + years without any issues at all... Before that, I used muffs for 35 years but went to the watering trough when the muffs came off and melted a water pump impeller one day.
                Attached Files
                Life is short... Ride a Harley, Fish a Sea Pro

Comment

Working...
                X