Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki dt140 - year 1989

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if my Suzuki dt 140 (year 1989) has an option to charge the battery? If so, how do I install it and what do I need to buy?

Thanks,

David

Does your motor have electric start with a battery now, and does it have electric tilt? Both of these require a battery to operate, and automatically, if all parts are working, will charge a battery as it is?
    If, however the rectifier/regulator, or magneto assy, or wiring are in poor (not working) condition, then the problems would have to be repaired for charging to work again.

Good luck, post back when able, to let us know what you're having problems with?

Comment

Yes, it has electric start and a tilt. They both work. Can I use those wires to charge the battery too? As of right now, there is not set up to charge the battery from the engine.

Comment

If your tilt and electric start both work and you are using them on a regular basis and your battery ISN’T charging then you would kill the battery. To test your charging system measure the voltage of your battery with engine off. Start the engine and check the voltage with the engine running, you may have to bring the RPM’s up a bit. The voltage with engine running should be above 12 volts. Likely in the 13-14 volt range.
        What makes you say it’s not set up to charge the battery?

Comment

I dont have a machine to check the voltage on a battery. So the tilt cord and electric start cord might be cords that you can use for charging too?

Comment

Honestly, I'm just assuming that its not charging the battery right now. The reason for that is because there is no cord for it!?

Comment

So you have a 12 Volt battery sitting in your boat not connected to anything? No wires whatsoever attached to the battery?

You say it starts and the trim works so there has to be some wires connected to the battery? Has the battery ever died on you?

Comment

If the battery is working, and you don't have to recharge it each time you start and tilt the motor, then it is recharging itself through the existing wires. Your magneto recharges the battery while the motor is running through the same wires connected, you don't add extra wires for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
                  So you have a 12 Volt battery sitting in your boat not connected to anything? No wires whatsoever attached to the battery?

You say it starts and the trim works so there has to be some wires connected to the battery? Has the battery ever died on you?
                  Sorry for the missunderstanding. The cables for the tilt and electric start is attached to the battery, yes. The battery died on me twice now so thats why I think the engine doesnt charge it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
                    If the battery is working, and you don't have to recharge it each time you start and tilt the motor, then it is recharging itself through the existing wires. Your magneto recharges the battery while the motor is running through the same wires connected, you don't add extra wires for it.
                    So those thick cables for the electric start are the cables that charge the battery too? The battery has died on me twice (within 2 weeks). However, I installed a master switch for the electricity 2 days ago. So if there is anything that drains the battery while I do not use the boat that issue is fixed with the master switch.

Comment

If the battery died on you twice in two weeks, then you installed a battery switch (a good idea), how old is the battery (my first question)? Then how often do you run the motor, for how long? And last question, does the battery only go dead on you when you're boat sits up, not being used?

Post back when able to let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
                        If the battery died on you twice in two weeks, then you installed a battery switch (a good idea), how old is the battery (my first question)? Then how often do you run the motor, for how long? And last question, does the battery only go dead on you when you're boat sits up, not being used?

Post back when able to let us know.
                        The battery is about 2 years old. I ran it like every other week for 2 months during the summer and for like 20-45 min run time. No, battery runs out after being used aswell. One time i had issues with getting the engine starting and the battery eventually ran out.

Comment

At this point there are several possible problems.

Continuous hard starting can wear a battery down. Is your motor not running well? Does your motor start within 3 - 4 seconds after pumping bulb, pushing key in (to choke, if needed), and turning key to start. If no problems it should start right up. The spark plugs should be a light to dark tan/brown color indicating it is idling good. The older the plugs are, the darker they will look if not cleaned.

If your motor is starting good/ normally, charge your battery then have it tested. If battery is starting to fail, it may lose a charge and fail quicker than it has in the past. Testing the battery is free at most auto parts stores. A good battery will test good, and recover after starting/ putting a load on it.

If your motor and battery are good, then yes, your regulator/rectifier (input AC voltage, and output DC voltage) should be tested to see if it is good. Check all connections to and from regulator/rectifier, and from magneto. If you find connection problems (corrosion or burned wires, loose connectors, bad ground wire), correct these before testing.

An auto electric person can check out your charging system easily.

Good luck, post back when able to let us know what you find.

Comment

Working...
                          X