4 Stroke oil pressure monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Stroke oil pressure monitoring

When running a 4 stroke motor, boat or vehicle, the important data I would like to monitor is:- RPMs, engine temp and oil pressure, as a minimum. If the oil pressure can be displayed as a reading as opposed to an on/off light then problems can be detected early rather than having the engine go immediately into safe mode and fundamental checks can be performed. It will also show the general condition of the engine as time and use goes on.

On my setup I have monitoring of the RPM and engine temp on my MFD setup. What I would like to do is add engine oil pressure.

Has anybody got any experience of doing this on a 2017 DF80A or similar or even on any other Suzy 4 stroke.

I am thinking along the lines of using a Lowrance pressure unit which is good for up to 100psi connected into my N2K system so that I can display it as part of my electronic dashboard on the MFD.

Questions I have, run along these lines; 1. is it feasible? - 2. is there an accessible pressure port on the engine which has the oil pressure switch to which I could add a T piece and so take a direct pressure reading to a N2K pressure transducer? - 3. what is the normal engine oil pressure, is it below 100psi so a Lowrance pressure sender unit would work.

Much appreciate any advice or practical experience

Your solution with a T-fitting and a sensor such as the EP90 type would work fine. Not home for the next week, so I don't have access to my DF150/175 service manual to look up normal pressures, but someone should be able to post up those figures for you.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I had a discussion with my mate who is our local Suzuki master technician about monitoring water and oil pressure by installing N2K sensors and connecting to the Suzuki network a while ago.

He looked at me quizzically and said - “

”by the time you notice a critical change in either of those on the digital gauge, the engine will already have thrown an alarm and gone into safe mode. Old style thinking!”””

Anyway, food for thought....

Comment

Working...
      X